GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left FOB in the car with window part way down and unlocked, then later initiated a remote start from the phone. When I came back to the car it was locked and I couldn't reach the keys lol. Anyways, I was able to unlock the car with my phone. There is no mention of locking the car with a remote start in the manual but I assume it is normal.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
For remote start, at least from the fob it requires pressing lock, then the remote start button. I would assume the precondition function on the chevy app sends a similar set of commands to the car resulting in locked doors. Fortunately the phone does seem to allow remote unlocking, especially in this case. In the 2013 manual it describes it on page 1-5 to press and release the door lock button and immediately press the button that looks like a circle around a ! and hold for 2 seconds or until the turn signal lights turn flash. I would assume the Gen 2 requires a similar process and I can't imagine they would have changed it to no longer require multiple steps to avoid inadvertently activating it with the fob in your pocket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did lock myself out, but not with the remote start. I had my phone and my FOB in the case on my bicycle. Rode up to the back of the locked car (case with FOB next to the trunk release), popped the trunk, took the front wheel off and put everything in the back. Closed the trunk thinking that the FOB was within range to unlock the doors. (Yep, I actually consciously thought that.) Well, of course neither the doors nor the trunk opened. (I assume this is to prevent a carjacker from opening the car when you're in it. I had 3 minutes to run the quarter mile to the library to call home to have the second FOB brought down. Only during the walk back to the car did I think about using the library computers, or someones smart phone, to unlock the car. Doh.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, same procedure on the gen2. I don't understand why it would not allow me to unlock from outside when the FOB was within range or does it know it is inside?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts