GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
Hello, did anyone find a way how to start remote preheat via can commands?
Can you explain the scenario on how that would be useful?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Yeah,
What are you talking about?

You are somewhere else, from the car.
You have your phone. You then have the cell network, or maybe wifi to talk to Onstar.
Or maybe your key fob, if you can see the car from not too far.
How are any of these getting to the car's Can Bus which is a data wire network within the car?

Just use the app or the key fob like everybody else. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Being one of those science kids ( who did mix the two cleaners which the directions said not to do )

The answer would be interesting and we would have 5 ways to remote pre-heat

I still can not just use my Watch to pre-heat- the phone must be in range ( or left in the car -with the key fob )

·
1,027 Posts
You can do it, but it won't be what you are looking for. You can use a raspberry pi with a wifi module or BT module to interface with the obd2 canbus. The car will "sleep". you'll need to either spoof the keyfob ( if you need to ask, it's beyond you ) events from the controller there or leave a key in it and do a full start stop cycle. If you can do all that and get it to work and make the front end, you need to sell it. you'll be rich and people will dump onstar and flock to you.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
..... If you can do all that and get it to work and make the front end, you need to sell it. you'll be rich and people will dump onstar and flock to you.
And how exactly do you communicate with the raspberry without a cellular connection or wifi?

I use Onstar to warm up / cool down my car as soon as I can turn on my phone upon landing in an airliner.
The car is miles away in the huge economy lot, (plugged into an L2. ;)Yay !!) with no wifi for miles.

How could a raspberry/spoof do that for me?:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can do it, but it won't be what you are looking for. You can use a raspberry pi with a wifi module or BT module to interface with the obd2 canbus. The car will "sleep". you'll need to either spoof the keyfob ( if you need to ask, it's beyond you ) events from the controller there or leave a key in it and do a full start stop cycle. If you can do all that and get it to work and make the front end, you need to sell it. you'll be rich and people will dump onstar and flock to you.
Actually all you need to do in theory is see what message the remote receiver module floats onto the bus and dup that with the Pi.

·
1,027 Posts
And how exactly do you communicate with the raspberry without a cellular connection or wifi?

I use Onstar to warm up / cool down my car as soon as I can turn on my phone upon landing in an airliner.
The car is miles away in the huge economy lot, (plugged into an L2. ;)Yay !!) with no wifi for miles.

How could a raspberry/spoof do that for me?:confused:
I said you'd need wifi or Bluetooth. You can get 3G/lte modems or a hotspot. the convenience has its price.

·
1,027 Posts
Actually all you need to do in theory is see what message the remote receiver module floats onto the bus and dup that with the Pi.
I'm aware of it normally but the car and the can bus goes to sleep. you can't send messages once that happens. The keyfob receiver and on star are connected via a backdoor on a separate gmlan to wake things up. You have to use that, or have a keyfob in the car or present a signal and "start" the car to wake the bus up.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
>I said you'd need wifi or Bluetooth.
>>You can get 3G/lte modems or a hotspot. the convenience has its price.
>So if you are within "wifi or Bluetooth" distance from the car, at most, a few more steps and the Key Fob works.

>> Getting a '3G/LTE modem' brings back the original Monthly Fees I assume what this is all about......

What I want is an inexpensive level of Onstar that only provides the basic needs of a Chevy BEV owner,
namely: Charge Completed and 'Some Dik unplugged your car' txt msgs and ideally the ability to do a Remote Precondition.
Everything else is fluff, to me. Onstar???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts