GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who precondition the car before driving, especially in the cold weather, you'll want to remember to turn off the engine when plugged in especially if you garage your car. Your engine could come on during especially cold temps and if you have it in a closed garage, you'll be spewing CO into that closed space. There is an option to keep the engine from engaging when you have it plugged in.

Be safe my friends!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
A good point.

I honestly pass on preconditioning if the thermometer drops much below my 15° F.

In my mind there's no point expending the kWh on that if the engine's going to give me heat anyhow.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You should always precondition. The car will be warmer, and the engine will run less, and save gas.
I'm not convinced.

The preconditioning warms up only the "short" heater core loop in the cabin.
ERDTT ran my engine about 80% of the time on my 12° drive this morning. I'm more interested in maximizing range and if I precondition just before starting out I'll have compromised that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you are going to precondition make sure to reactivate the charging if you have it set to time of use based on rates. For example if your rate changes to "Peak" at 7 am and you precondition starting at 7:05 am you will precondition on battery only and no charging will take place to recharge the battery. You can override this from the app or your keyfob.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
For those of you who precondition the car before driving, especially in the cold weather, you'll want to remember to turn off the engine when plugged in especially if you garage your car.
However, if you just found your girlfriend is cheating on you......Pop the hood latch to keep the engine running before you sit in the cockpit, windows down, bottle of JD resting on your lap for a sip or two while you have "Stairway to heaven" on repeat......Not loud enough to not hear the hum of the inline 4 purring your heartbreak away.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My car is set to not start the engine if plugged in. I went out to the garage this morning (28F) and turned the car on comfort mode while I got ready for work. I was mostly using 220v EVSE. Nice and toasty.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I precondition on 240, do you lose range? Don't do it on 120, that's for sure.

Nate
I'm on 240V and if the garage is much below 25 degrees I'll lose a little range with a 10 minute precondition.

·
Registered
700 Posts
For those of you who precondition the car before driving, especially in the cold weather, you'll want to remember to turn off the engine when plugged in especially if you garage your car. Your engine could come on during especially cold temps and if you have it in a closed garage, you'll be spewing CO into that closed space. There is an option to keep the engine from engaging when you have it plugged in.

Be safe my friends!
Unfortunately, I have a 2012 Volt which does not offer the setting to turn off the ICE if preconditioning.
I always thought this was a safety issue that GM would have provided a software update for, but GM just does not want to do SW updates.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm not convinced.

I'm more interested in maximizing range and if I precondition just before starting out I'll have compromised that.
If you are interested in just maximizing range, I suggest starting the Volt with lights, climate control, radio off while still plugged in at L2. Let it warm up this way for 12-14 minutes. I found that by doing this, I get an extra 0.3-0.4 kWh out of the battery.

I measured the SOC via Torque Android App using OBDII device and the SOC goes up around 2%. However, using remote start it does not go up at all.

Do not wait until the charge light starts flashing, once this happens, the SOC drops back down. I do not know why this happens, but it is almost instantaneous from when the charging light starts flashing.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Elemental @ #7

Naaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, just go find another one. The best revenge is if the next one is better looking, LOL.

Plus, I read that a modern car doesn't emit enough CO to kill you anyway, so don't waste your time.

"Razors pain you,

Rivers are damp,

Acids stain you,

And drugs cause cramp,

Guns aren't lawful,

Nooses give,

Gas smells awful,

You might as well live."

Dorothy Parker

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Elemental @ #7

Naaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, just go find another one.

Plus, I read that a modern car doesn't emit enough CO to kill you anyway, so don't waste your time.
You are correct sir. New cars won't. However, when this story DID happen it was a friend of mine in a 75 Maverick. THAT did the trick all right.

Inconsiderate A-hole.....No wonder his GF cheated on him. If he was considerate he would have done it in a way his mom didn't have to open the garage after working all day to see that. #No Pity!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
You are correct sir. New cars won't. However, when this story DID happen it was a friend of mine in a 75 Maverick. THAT did the trick all right.

Inconsiderate A-hole.....No wonder his GF cheated on him. If he was considerate he would have done it in a way his mom didn't have to open the garage after working all day to see that. #No Pity!
Yeah, or '58 Corvette would probably do you in too, LOL. But the [email protected]#$%^ is so loud the neighbors would probably call the cops before you could get the job done!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.