GM Volt Forum banner

Relay(-like) clicking noise by applying brakes in Park

111221 12
Just in the last couple of weeks, I've noticed an odd thing with my 2014. If it was there before, I didn't notice it. When I have the car in Park (and powered on) and I press the service brake pedal, I hear a clicking sound. It clicks once per press and is solidly repeatable. I can feel the clicking vibration when I place my hand on the shifter, so the source must be in or under that center shifter area. It seems like a relay, but I don't understand it or know whether anything is going wrong.

The noise does not occur when the car's "in gear" and the operation of the brakes does not seem to be any different than it used to be before I noticed this.

Has anybody got anything on this? I couldn't find anything from searching the forums. Thanks.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,298 Posts
Close!:) What you are hearing (and feeling thru the Transmission Shift Lever is the M7 Transmission Change Lock Control Solenoid Actuator located within the S3 Transmission Gearstick according to the Volt's schematics. Basically the gizmo that is energized by the BCM (Body Control Module) when the brake pedal is applied and allows you to shift out of park position...no signal from the BCM verifying you are pressing the brake = not being able to shift out of park!;)

· Registered
127 Posts
Totally normal. This is caused by the shift-lock mechanism that only allows you to shift out of park if you are pressing the brake pedal. The mechanism is electrically actuated and that is the 'click' you are feeling and hearing.

Try to move the shifter without pushing the brake... you can't, the shifter is locked in park. Now try again, but first push the brake pedal... now you can move the shifter.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Wow. I must be going senile not to have ever heard that before, in 2 years, 28k miles. :eek: Of course it makes perfect sense as to its lockout function. Does seem like kind of a cheap sound, though. (Too weird I just noticed this. Maybe my hearing is improving!)

Thanks, all, for the responses.

· Registered
985 Posts
Or commonly refereed as "shifter interlock"
All cars have it -with automatic transmission -with mechanical shift lever.

Among other things ...It prevents this: when parents leave the car running in the driveway or store parking lot... kids sitting on the passenger seat reaching over and yanking the shifter out of park sending the car down the road.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Or commonly refereed as "shifter interlock"
All cars have it -with automatic transmission -with mechanical shift lever.

Among other things ...It prevents this: when parents leave the car running in the driveway or store parking lot... kids sitting on the passenger seat reaching over and yanking the shifter out of park sending the car down the road.
Yep. IIRC, I believe the Audi "unintended acceleration" saga precipitated this as a requirement. I've just never observed one in any car that had such a cheesy, loud relay. As I also recall, the Audi issue was basically about pedal spacing, but it's still a good idea to do this for the reasons stated.

· Registered
91 Posts
Relay click

Hi!
Did you fix the problem because my Opel Ampera start doing it after I replace the 12V battery.I don't know what it has to do but after replace my battery also in my trunk I got a buzz noise coming from the cooler right next to the battery.Also when I start the car,the ABS initialising noise take 20-30 seconds...All my problems appear after I change the 12v battery.
PS>My Ampera doesn't make the click noise when is charging.I don't know why but if I start the engine and press brake while it's in Park mode there is no click in the gearbox(only if it's pluged in).

· Registered
50 Posts
PS>My Ampera doesn't make the click noise when is charging.I don't know why but if I start the engine and press brake while it's in Park mode there is no click in the gearbox(only if it's pluged in).

This is because you can't drive the car with the EVSE connected. So no shift interlock noise.

· Registered
1 Posts
So question , I just got my Volvo back from the shop again s80 Volvo 2010 146,000 miles

and now it is making that clicking noise as you chatted about in your previous discussions ( should I bring it back ?pls help I need to know ASAP if they did something ) it never did it before..or is it ok ? Every year I put 2500-4000 grand into this car and I never took such good care of a car ! I have put 10,000 in it in four years..some normal things but I feel I e rebuilt this car by now ! I'm dying here ( I could've paid it off already with that money )so pls let me know if it's something major or they should've advised me to fix it etc ..

· Registered
4,099 Posts
Not too much has been discussed about the workings of the Volvo S80 in this forum. It can't hurt to return to the dealer to ask the question regarding the new click after they made a repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.