GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Once I do step on the accelerator, regen stops, allowing gravity to once again join with the motor torque to increase my downhill speed until it reaches the chosen speed. When I reach the chosen speed, I ease up on the go-pedal until the motor stops applying torque, I start "coasting" again, regen kicks back in, and L regen slows me again until I drop below the chosen speed, when I then press down on the accelerator again and repeat the cycle...

Depending on the steepness of the descent, it doesn’t take much effort to modulate the pressure on the accelerator to apply motor torque as soon as the car starts to slow below the chosen speed and then stop applying it when the chosen speed has been reached... or I could set my Volt’s cruise control at 45 mph and let the car do the work.
You are misreading what the car is doing. The regen is variable in L depending on position of the accelerator just like the regen of the brakes is variable depending on brake pedal pressure (up to maximum regen at which time the pads come in contact with the discs). That's why if you can feather the throttle to get the amount of regen you want. You aren't applying motor torque because the you are still applying regen to the battery. If the hill is constant you can position the throttle in such a position so the regen equals the pull of gravity and speed remains the same for the given throttle position. If the hill is variable you will have to vary the throttle to get the variable amount of regen to equal the variable amount of pull from gravity. If the hill to too steep the pull of gravity will exceed the regen and regen of brakes will be needed to maintain a speed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts