GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a strange thought the other day about how a vehicle may be able to capture some of the energy wasted as it pushing through the air. This could be a totally useless idea but what if you had a car designed to capture the static electric charges that are constantly being created as a car drives down the road. It was just an idea and would probably be rather useless but forums are places for such things.

If it proves possible then....lol I thought of it first yes...score

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Better to make efforts to reduce the drag rather than draw energy from it, IMO.
Well, no matter how drag resistant you make a car it will still generate an electric car by driving through air. So, yea, by all means make it as aerodynamic as possible but just saying if you could easily collect that charge then it would be great.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think Koz is suggesting there is never a free lunch in the world of energy. If we extract electric current from electrically charged air flowing over the car, it will create a resistive magnetic force between the air and the car that would be equivalent to "drag", requiring more energy to push the car through the air than would be generated by the MHD system. This is the same reason it takes "work" to rotate a magnetized generator rotor, forcing the moving magnetic field to cut across the stator and generate electrical current in the windings.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wonder

I wonder if you could use MHD to guide the flow around the car to make it more aerodynamic. Sort of the reverse of what is being discussed above. You could increase the effective area but decrease the relative coefficient of drag such that the net C_d*A is less.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I thought about the reverse and using electromagnetism to enhance the cars aerodynamics but my original idea I don't believe has been understood so well. I know that these electrical charges that our cars create while pressing through the air are discharged mainly through the tires. It is created no matter how aerodynamic the car is. It will always be there. It may be less and less depending on the cars shape but these charges still build up and are still released through the tires.

Some newer tires have been built in such a way that this process is much harder. So, instead of routing this electricity through these tires simply have it go into a battery. The way I understand electricity is that it will take the path of least resistance. So, if the battery is less resistant than the grounding through the tires then it should just charge the battery and actually keep the electromagnetic field at a minimum because it isn't allowing it to build up.

Now, do not take my words as fact because this is just a simple understanding that I have of these physical equations. I do not know for certain that this is how it works but maybe some of you more educated forum goers on electricity, static charge, electromagnetism, wind restriction, air pressures, constant flow of electrons and neutrons could lend your knowledge on the matter.

I have a lot of ideas but I just don't have the technical knowledge or engineering expertise to bring them to life even if whether there is a possibility of life or not.

OH YEA, I think I actually heard of a aircraft manufacturer using these charges to make their planes more aerodynamic. It was suppose to be the "cutting edge" of aerodynamics. So, maybe they could look into that who knows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts