GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really loud (louder than the radio volume I had set) whining noise when I regen to a stop, but it also whines when I accelerate, just not as loud.

If I did the video link correctly, it is above, if not search youtube for f16bmathis

Hey, anyone else think we should have a Volt issue/problem forum? It'd be neat to see how few problems, or at least how minor our problems are, plus I could quit writing my issues here under modifications/hacks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I agree with sea's diagnostic. Your motor B bearings are shot,
they are the ones with the nylon cage, and will be replaced by brass cage bearings. It's the nylon that fails.
Balls get to touch each other, making the noise you ear. The brass cage version will correct all of this.

Bring the Volt to the dealership. and prepare yourself mentally to pay for gas on the loaner car...
Search other posts on gm-volt about whining noise when regen.

Francois
B2653

·
4,879 Posts
I agree with sea's diagnostic. Your motor B bearings are shot,
they are the ones with the nylon cage, and will be replaced by brass cage bearings. It's the nylon that fails.
Balls get to touch each other, making the noise you ear. The brass cage version will correct all of this.

Bring the Volt to the dealership. and prepare yourself mentally to pay for gas on the loaner car...
Search other posts on gm-volt about whining noise when regen.

Francois
B2653
Hmmm, nylon versus brass? I wonder what the anticipated failure rate is on the nylon ones? I'd hate to have my nylon cage fail just as my warranty ends.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your build was obviously before the line shut down at the first of the year..... It will be interesting to follow this item to see if, when, they came off the line with the metal bearing cage...... Hopefully they are now..... Perhaps many of us will need them..... If this is the only surgery the drive train needs we will be doing good for such a complicated technology entering a otherwise mature field.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hmmm, nylon versus brass? I wonder what the anticipated failure rate is on the nylon ones? I'd hate to have my nylon cage fail just as my warranty ends.
They did test the motors to endurance tests of 3 lifespans, and a lifespan is 200000miles. So the endurance tests were of the order of 600 000miles. They originally made the transmission in Japan, and now in Mexico. I would bet that the bearings with the nylon cage that fails (prematurly) is a bad batch. So far, the affected Volts are 2011s and early 2012s.

·
4,879 Posts
They did test the motors to endurance tests of 3 lifespans, and a lifespan is 200000miles. So the endurance tests were of the order of 600 000miles. They originally made the transmission in Japan, and now in Mexico. I would bet that the bearings with the nylon cage that fails (prematurly) is a bad batch. So far, the affected Volts are 2011s and early 2012s.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm a very early 2011; I'm assuming mine's not a bad batch then, but who knows. Would be nice to know what VIN's might be affected, but I know if they provided that information, they'd have many more people coming to ask for a replacement than is needed.

I'm curious if that part of the transmission falls under the "Voltec" warranty of 8 years/100,000 miles?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts