GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We were in to the dealer having a rear bicycle hitch installed on the vehicle. While our car was there they told us they took care of a few recall items. Since the visit, we are seeing full charge ranges between 35-37 miles while typically we used to see full charge ranges from 52-54 miles. Is it possible that the dealership messed something up during reprogramming to cause this drastic drop in range? We were told by the dealership that this is all due to colder weather. However, we purchased our vehicle mid-Feb 2016 and it is now late Jan 2017, and we are still seeing the reduced range of 35-37 miles.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looks like you have an early Gen2. If you just had the services performed in the last few days, maybe even week I'd go through a few charge cycles and see if it fixes itself. It's doubtful the dealer did anything to reduce your range that dramatically. When was it in for service?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
That's a sizeable drop. Do you know the range you're actually getting? Range and estimated aren't necessarily the same. On possibility is that the software update may have reset the estimator and that, combined with cold weather, reduced the estimated range. You may also want to check the OnStar app after you charge to be sure it charged to 100%.

The likelihood there is something wrong other than an estimate is fairly small.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I'm guessing all you need to do is exhaust your battery and then fully charge it and start driving as usual. I'm predicting after a few charge/discharge cycles the car will re-learn and return to your normal.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
That's a sizeable drop. Do you know the range you're actually getting? Range and estimated aren't necessarily the same. On possibility is that the software update may have reset the estimator and that, combined with cold weather, reduced the estimated range. You may also want to check the OnStar app after you charge to be sure it charged to 100%.

The likelihood there is something wrong other than an estimate is fairly small.
It's most likely this. i can't imagine the bike hitch adding enough weight or disrupting aerodynamics to cause this much of a mileage loss. How long have you driven it since getting the car back from the dealership, what are the temps in your area, and do you happen to have any teenagers in the household who recently got their driver's license? All of these can affect your range and it will take time for the guessometer to calibrate to your driving style.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I agree with DonC and Ilninja that the software reset likely erased some of your historical driving data used to calculate the full charge ev range estimate, and the estimates will return to the expected ranges as new additional data is obtained (keeping in mind we’re now in January of your first experience with the summer to winter to summer again annual range cycle).

Here’s a way to check that: Note your full charge ev range estimate. Then, now and then during the day, display the "This Charge" usage screen on the center display, and add the Electric Miles shown there to the remaining ev range displayed on the driver’s display. My own Volt is configured to display that usage screen each time the vehicle is turned off, so I do this as a habit. The sum totals throughout the day of achieved + estimated miles should remain reasonably close to the full charge range estimate during your normal commute if that estimate accurately represents your normal day’s driving habits.

If the software reset erased some of the algorithm’s data and is currently showing lower than expected full charge ranges, then the sum of the achieved + estimated throughout the day should start to exceed the full charge estimate because your normal driving habits are still producing the normal for you pre-update ev mileage. The new data being gathered will then influence the following day’s full charge range estimates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts