GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Volt that I have owned since new. I have driven the car the same exact route since purchased. Just over a year ago, I had a software update to resolve an error message that I received. I also monitored the kWh used daily, which always used between 10.2-10.4. I use all battery power daily and shift to the ice. After the upgrade, I now shift to the ice 6 miles earlier and it uses between 9.2-9.4 kWh per day.

I also experience the “reduced propulsion power” message if I make a stop after switching to the ice on my way home.

The dealer gave me the “its all estimates” excuse, but when I made it from home to a specific point for 4 years before the software update, and after I now fall several miles short, I know it’s not an estimate/logarithm change issue. It is a true range decrease.

Anyone experience any similar issues after an update on your 2012.

Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt that I have owned since new. I have driven the car the same exact route since purchased. Just over a year ago, I had a software update to resolve an error message that I received. I also monitored the kWh used daily, which always used between 10.2-10.4. I use all battery power daily and shift to the ice. After the upgrade, I now shift to the ice 6 miles earlier and it uses between 9.2-9.4 kWh per day.

I also experience the “reduced propulsion power” message if I make a stop after switching to the ice on my way home.

The dealer gave me the “its all estimates” excuse, but when I made it from home to a specific point for 4 years before the software update, and after I now fall several miles short, I know it’s not an estimate/logarithm change issue. It is a true range decrease.

Thanks
Only after the update to fix the PPR message/issue, since that update deliberately reduces the usable battery window. It sounds like you're actively having the PPR issue, so I'm not sure what software update could have caused this.

How many miles do you have? It's possibly just normal battery degradation.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a 2012 with 165,000kms. I was getting the PPR message and they did the software fix. I was reluctant to do the fix as the dealer said it would significantly reduce range and that of the very few with my problem in Canada, none had done the fix for that reason. I went ahead anyway and I noticed a reduction of range of only about 5km per charge (typically was getting 60km per charge, now down to 55kms). Apparently I am the first in Canada to have it done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have not had the PPR update made at this point. The message that required the update was “service high voltage charging system”. The range change was instant, immediately following the update, which makes me believe it is software related and not battery age. The car had approx 65k miles on it when I had to get that update.

I wanted them to put it back to the original version, but they said they could not do that.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts

Thanks
Thanks for your empirical data/testing (4 years tracking same route).
How many times/days have you seen this? Meaning can you rule out recalibration happening over a week or two.
After the upgrade, I now shift to the ice 6 miles earlier and it uses between 9.2-9.4 kWh per day.

I'm guessing you probably checked out this thread too to read/understand others take on the PPR.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ge2&highlight=battery+degradation+wear+normal

It could be 'normal wear' (GM terms for battery degradation) except you saw it all of a sudden after the software update.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, the exact same thing happened to me and unfortunately I have been living with it and the PPR messages for well over a year now. Here is a post i made about it on 3/8/18. Dealerships have been very unhelpful with the whole situation and wont do anything about the reduced range or the PPR messages. I have given up on the whole thing and will just live with the car as is.

"So about a year ago my car was reprogrammed for an unrelated issue but the affect of the programming is it dropped my usable battery capacity from 10.4 kwh to 9.4 kwh. Unfortunately over the past month or so I have been getting the Propulsion Power Reduced message pretty regularly while driving normally on level ground. Then yesterday, when starting the car the engine was racing and the Propulsion Power Reduced warning came on with the car just sitting in my garage. I want to get this taken care of but my fear is they will take even more capacity away from me in order to get the message to go away. My car is a 2013 with 102k miles, 85k of which are EV."

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Thanks. I have not had the PPR update made at this point. The message that required the update was “service high voltage charging system”. The range change was instant, immediately following the update, which makes me believe it is software related and not battery age. The car had approx 65k miles on it when I had to get that update.
Lots of things cause that message, from a flakey coolant level sensor to bad luck to actual serious problems. The first thing that dealers usually do under "nothing catastrophically wrong" conditions is reload the HPCM2 (Hybrid Power Control Module 2? I think that's it) with whatever programming is current at the time, and then see if the message comes back again. What version that was and what rode along with it that was different from what you had is, at this point, impossible to tell. You may have gotten the PPR update already. This is SUPPOSED to be followed with a capacity relearn cycle, but that may not have happened. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...er-is-Reduced-2011-Volt&p=4139081#post4139081 for more on that.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
let hope this part is the reason

"To enable hardware replacement, the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 can be placed into a fast learn mode with the scan tool.

Activating the fast Capacity Learn mode will reset the battery capacity to a much lower value and subsequent charge/discharge cycles will then learn the capacity back up to the proper value. Initially this may have a noticeable effect on EV range until the capacity learning for the new hardware begins. It may take several battery pack depletions and charges for a maximum EV range to be learned/displayed."

if you watched the Webber state video this was in the end of the part about re-filling the battery cooling fluid.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Lots of things cause that message, from a flakey coolant level sensor to bad luck to actual serious problems. The first thing that dealers usually do under "nothing catastrophically wrong" conditions is reload the HPCM2 (Hybrid Power Control Module 2? I think that's it) with whatever programming is current at the time, and then see if the message comes back again. What version that was and what rode along with it that was different from what you had is, at this point, impossible to tell. You may have gotten the PPR update already. This is SUPPOSED to be followed with a capacity relearn cycle, but that may not have happened. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...er-is-Reduced-2011-Volt&p=4139081#post4139081 for more on that.
Actually, the Service High Voltage Charging System message is only caused by HPCM2 thinking that the coolant level in the battery cooling reservoir is low. Usually that's caused by a faulty sensor or wiring issue, though the coolant level may truly be low.

In any case, flashing HPCM2 to clear the code that causes that message shouldn't impact usable battery. The flash to fix the PPR issue is a different story.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Actually, the Service High Voltage Charging System message is only caused by HPCM2 thinking that the coolant level in the battery cooling reservoir is low. Usually that's caused by a faulty sensor or wiring issue, though the coolant level may truly be low.

In any case, flashing HPCM2 to clear the code that causes that message shouldn't impact usable battery. The flash to fix the PPR issue is a different story.
Flashing with what, though? The current version or is it A Rule Someplace to flash it ONLY with the same version that's already on the module?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Flashing with what, though? The current version or is it A Rule Someplace to flash it ONLY with the same version that's already on the module?
It shouldn't matter either way. No "normal" flash for HPCM2 should decrease usable battery. The PPR fix requires a special flash that GM TAC only releases to the dealer to fix that specific issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer was/is useless. I even tried the Volt advisor at the time and requested to talk with a Volt engineer, but they refused to put me in contact with anyone on the Volt team. I gave up as well, and now I am thinking twice about having the PPR problem looked at. I am afraid I will have an ICE only car after they do another update.

I purchased the car new in Nov 2011. I absolutely loved the car and monitored every mile before this update. Once the update had such an impact, I quit tracking and trying to stretch another mile from the battery. It frustrates me that the dealers blame every range issue on the estimates and the learning functions of the vehicle.

After this experience, I would think twice about buying another GM electric car.

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
The dealer was/is useless. I even tried the Volt advisor at the time and requested to talk with a Volt engineer, but they refused to put me in contact with anyone on the Volt team. I gave up as well, and now I am thinking twice about having the PPR problem looked at. I am afraid I will have an ICE only car after they do another update.

I purchased the car new in Nov 2011. I absolutely loved the car and monitored every mile before this update. Once the update had such an impact, I quit tracking and trying to stretch another mile from the battery. It frustrates me that the dealers blame every range issue on the estimates and the learning functions of the vehicle.

After this experience, I would think twice about buying another GM electric car.

Thanks
I think the dealer has done a really poor job explaining the "fix" to you, but I imagine it's trying to give more bottom buffer to the battery so that it can still deliver the max power and not trigger any codes before turning the ICE on. Just like how if you've got 1-2 miles of range left and you accelerate hard you'll pull the pack voltage down below the limit and it'll kick the ICE on, when in reality the voltage probably recovered very quickly and still had more range.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that some batteries will need their SOC windows tightened up as they age. It sucks, but it's the same approach as an ICE engine wearing and fundamentally limiting its max power somewhat by having lower compression etc. It just needs to be done in the software control side for an EV drivetrain.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Thanks
I was a little annoyed too when I lost 10% of my range due to the PPR fix. But, my car has 106,000 miles and still runs great other than that.

Your car is 7-8 years old, depending on when it was produced. Most cars start to show issues at that age. Think on the plus side, if you bought a Leaf back then, it would likely have lost 30-50% of it’s range by now. GM had a great first gen battery design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts