GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Volt with 114K miles that has started experiencing Reduced Propulsion issues. I see from other posts that I am not alone.
I had the car serviced in Ct in Nov 2018 where they could not find any issues. I drove the car to MI for Thanksgiving where it totally failed.
The dealer there kept the car for a week and determined it was the 12 Volt battery which they replaced. I brought the car back to Ct after Xmas and getting the Propulsion message again along with the check battery light illuminated. I had to take the car for the DMV inspection and although the check battery light was on - it passed!!
I am really apprehensive about driving it too far seeing the last time these symptoms manifested the car totally failed (check voltage charging system) and I had to have it towed.
Can anyone shed some light on how concerned I should be seeing that a new 12V battery was installed about 30 days ago.
Also the dashboard lights go dim and then suddenly brighten. Does that mean anything? Thanks for any help you can provide. Ken Arndt

·
Registered
296 Posts
Check for corrosion on all cable connections and to all grounding points on the vehicle. Esp if you are in the rust belt.
Internal resistance in any cable could cause similar issues. Checking resistance through all the supply/power/and grounds can help diagnose too

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on how concerned I should be seeing that a new 12V battery was installed about 30 days ago.
Also the dashboard lights go dim and then suddenly brighten. Does that mean anything? Thanks for any help you can provide. Ken Arndt
The dash lights will brighten and dim as the auto headlights go on and off depending on ambient light changes. When the headlights go on the dash dims (assuming we are going into night) when they go off the dash brightens assuming we are going into sunlight and need brighter dash lights for daytime. This can happen at any time of day depending on overcast skies, tree shade, through underpass nd/or any combination.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
RPP may be because of battery degradation (GM assuage for 'normal wear' below.)
May need this PIC.
Do you know if the procedure performed on the Volt as a result of this PIC6309A reduces the kWh Used in a full charge?

If so, that would seem to indicate the procedure involves reprogramming the computer to increases the SOC at which the car "switches to gas," reducing the size of the usable SOC window, but keeping a larger quantity of power in the "borrowable battery buffer" used in Extended Range Mode.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Do you know if the procedure performed on the Volt as a result of this PIC6309A reduces the kWh Used in a full charge?

If so, that would seem to indicate the procedure involves reprogramming the computer to increases the SOC at which the car "switches to gas," reducing the size of the usable SOC window, but keeping a larger quantity of power in the "borrowable battery buffer" used in Extended Range Mode.
Do a find on kwh (or 9kwh) in this link and look at a few post. https://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-272770.html

Our 2011 Volt has less than 80K miles but is now has 6 to 9 less battery miles on it now for the past year or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts