GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has complained off and on about this and today I really experienced it for the first time myself. The weather was extremely hot and humid here today so we were using the AC on maximum, but at one point a phone call came in and the HVAC fan speed reduced probably 2/3'rds during the call.

Because of the heat, humidity, and sun...the car started to heat up.

Sometimes my wife talks with friends for 45+ minutes during long commutes, so I can understand how this bothers her.

I know that this is normal behaviour, but can it be overridden? I looked in the config menus but didn't see anything obvious.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can have her turn the fan up manually when a call comes in. Or disconnect the bluetooth connection for future phone calls. No way to disable that feature in the Volt. Does not happen on the ELR - fan speed remains constant.

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
One option is to temporarily disable Bluetooth on the phone and use the phone's built-in speakerphone. Another option is to hang up, put the AC on max until you freeze, then call the person back until it's unbearable, repeat.

If it is really hot outside, you could also try setting the climate control to recirculate, so it isn't pulling in hot outside air, but cooling interior air when Bluetooth slows the fan down.

Last optoin, if it is hotter than hell outside, just stay home, talk on the phone to your heart's content.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, today I suggested she do that - drive for 10 or 15 minutes to cool the interior down BEFORE making the call, and set it on recirc.

But she does chat a lot during her 45 minute (each way) commute - whether or not she'll have the patience to wait, we shall see. ;)

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
An in the interest of self preservation, never, ever suggest that the hot air is coming from all that jabbering... :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
You could also try to get her to not use the phone. While using bluetooth/speaker phone is safer than putting the device up to your ear, it still isn't risk free.

NSC

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
You can have her turn the fan up manually when a call comes in. Or disconnect the bluetooth connection for future phone calls. No way to disable that feature in the Volt. Does not happen on the ELR - fan speed remains constant.
Fans on Volt can get pretty noisy when they're going all out. I'm guessing the ELR may have much better.... err... pneumo-acoustics?

·
Registered
790 Posts
There's a setting on the Gen 2 to disable this behavior. I guess there is no equivalent on the Gen 1? Can you manually turn up the fan speed when a call comes in?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Another alternative is staying off the phone or keeping the calls shorter. Might be a little safer enabling greater attention to the road and driving. Even hands-free phone calls are still a distraction to a degree.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You could also try to get her to not use the phone. While using bluetooth/speaker phone is safer than putting the device up to your ear, it still isn't risk free.

NSC
I second this. Driving is a 100% focus task.

If you don't want your surgeon talking on the phone while operating on you, then don't talk on the phone while driving. Both put peoples lives at risk by being distracted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts