GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys-
I leased a Volt this past spring and absolutely love it! Gone 5000 mi on just 2.9 gallons of gas! Using a clipper creek 240v charger LCS-25.
Anyway, I tried searching for this, but didn't find an answer. Normally after charging, the range says I have 42 to 44 mi available. But, yesterday and today, after fully charging, it says I have just 33 mi. What gives?
Thanks,
-Glenn

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
GR, the battery capacity hasn't changed, the weather and/or your driving pattern has. The predicted range is simply that, a prediction, and it is based on how you drive and what the weather is like. As it gets colder the predicted range will go down but your battery still has the same amount of kWh's in it.
This subject has really been kicked to death in the past, I think there are threads with 50 or 60 posts in which Volt owners have documented the rise of the predicted miles of AER as they learn to drive the Volt more efficiently, then the dreaded drop in miles of predicted AER as the winter temps set in, and the blessed... Nay, near MIRACULOUS return of the previous miles of AER in the spring!
;-)
Seriously, though, in really cold weather with snow and ice, some people have seen their real world range drop to 25 miles or so. It is simply the nature of the beast. ICE cars' mpg drops as well, just not as much.
My predicted miles of AER has already dropped from 48 miles to 45 miles, but it isn't the battery, it is the falling temps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Colder weather will take a few miles off. Have you been using the heat? Auto Defog on?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hi Guys-
I leased a Volt this past spring and absolutely love it! Gone 5000 mi on just 2.9 gallons of gas! Using a clipper creek 240v charger LCS-25.
Anyway, I tried searching for this, but didn't find an answer. Normally after charging, the range says I have 42 to 44 mi available. But, yesterday and today, after fully charging, it says I have just 33 mi. What gives?
Thanks,
-Glenn
The most likely reason is (assuming you are traveling the same route with similar driving styles) you have started running the heater. Your range indicator (estimate) is just that. It is an estimate based on your last driving style including usage of all loads, heater included. The heater has a big draw on the battery. If you have just recently start using the heater because of colder weather, that is normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ziv, Pepperish, & firehawk -
Thank you for your reply... especially since it's been kicked to death. My apologies... somehow searching for "reduced" "battery" "performance" "range", etc. and wading through the 1st 5 pages didn't find what I was looking for. But, now that you mention it, I do remember seeing posts dealing with weather a while ago.

I didn't even think of that because the driving pattern change has been ever so slight. That meaning... for the most part, the weather here is still good. 60's today. I may have used the seat heaters once or twice, and the heat probably just once. I also bought the car in the spring, where the temperatures were likely colder than now... and I've never seen anything under 41 mi. before.

As for it being an estimate, I realize that. But, when my wife couldn't make a round trip (had to use 2 mi of gas) on a trip that she usually has 7 miles of electric to spare, it made me think that the battery capacity has somehow been seriously affected.

Still sound like weather related driving patterns? Ok, I'll keep an eye on it, and try driving with zero heat for a while and see if it comes back.

Thanks again guys!
-Glenn

·
Registered
264 Posts
Any need to defrost the windows?

It's been humid here the past 2 days and I've found the need to defrost the windows. Usually, I can make my morning 15.1 mile commute on 2.5 kWh, but with defrost, my energy usage goes up to about 3.2 kWh.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I kept cooler cabin temps last year than I normally did and my AER never fell below 33 miles, but I sure wish GM had included a heated steering wheel.

But to be honest, I'll be ignoring my AER's and use what ever heat is needed to be comfortable (still cooler that most) and let the ICE cycle on/off as needed. I used less than TWO gallons of gas all last winter here in southern Illinois so I need to get over using what little gas my Volt does use.

Also in cooler temps make sure your tire PSI ate still above 38. I keep mine at 40 and as temps keep falling I have to keep adding more air.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This suggestion has Also been pounded to death - but make sure that you have the auto defrost set Off (it's On by default). Makes a huge difference.

That said, it Hasn't been cold enough yet up here to really bring the AER down as far as you say, not from just the temperature at least. Watch the energy data page (center screen) and verify that you are still getting the 10.5 Kw of energy (more or less) out of the battery when it completely depletes (after a screen reset at the conclusion of a full charge). Just in case something is going on there.

Unlikely that you have a battery or charging problem, Very unlikely, but verifying the amount of energy that the battery delivers is simple enough..

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hi Ziv, Pepperish, & firehawk -
Thank you for your reply... especially since it's been kicked to death. My apologies... somehow searching for "reduced" "battery" "performance" "range", etc. and wading through the 1st 5 pages didn't find what I was looking for.
No problems Glenn. The search function on the site "leaves something to be desired". LOL

FYI there is a little box at the bottom of a thread which gives a list of related threads. Sometimes this is better than search but the Catch 22 is that you have to post before you can see it.

The whole weather thing can catch you by surprise even if you know it's coming. Where I am we only see a 10F swing between the July and January highs but the range estimate started dropping a week or so ago and it got my attention. Even two winters wasn't enough to make the routine ingrained and it took me a minute to remember. Those lovely high mileage estimates are hard to give up.

If this makes you feel better, Argonne is testing the Volt battery for the DOE. So far the Volt battery, like all batteries, has lost capacity. However, performance, including range and acceleration, has stayed exactly the same. That should continue for many years and even at what is technically battery EOL you should still have electric range.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You should also make use of cabin pre-conditioning. Since you have a 240V EVSE, it can keep up and reduce the need to use the heater. Remember to set climate back to fan only with low fan speed to keep it warm inside. Ice ECO if it is really cold. Set the climate controls to Comfort the night before. If you are set to fan only, pre-conditioning will do nothing but run the fans.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Beware the auto-defog. Even when you turn it off, climate stays on and could be at 40%+

So make sure you go back to the climate screen and notch the fan to zero

·
Registered
850 Posts
even if you do not run the electric cabin heater in the cold the Electric battery heater will run automaticly and reduce yor range, other factors will also reduce your cold weather range.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've seen a reduced AER of about 3 to 5 miles over the past few weeks and I have not used any heat...yet. I think that as the temperature goes down, the air becomes denser and it will takes more energy to move through it. How much? I have no idea. Does anyone have any type of information regarding this? My gut feeling is that it is more than insignificant, at least based on my Volts performance in cooler/cold weather.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I think that as the temperature goes down, the air becomes denser and it will takes more energy to move through it. How much? I have no idea. Does anyone have any type of information regarding this?
Cold air is indeed more dense, which translates into more resistance to motion, which in turn increases the amount of power needed by a car to cut through it. Colder air will also lower tire pressure, resulting in less mpg. Colder air causes people to use the heater and defrosters more, which also reduce mileage. Colder air is often accompanied by wet weather, which can increase resistance as well as reducing tire grip and cause energy wasting traffic snarls. Colder weather affects the lubricants as well, making them thicker, again increasing resistance to motion. Gasoline grades can also change with the weather. Dense air causes the ICE to use more fuel as well.

For the same distance and route traveled, all of these add up to more power needed in cold weather than warm. And that is seen as fewer miles from the battery.

3,605 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts