GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my ELR late Saturday (2/7). Happy Birthday (2/5) to ME!!

Red w/cashmere interior. (Is red faster on this car like Volt is? ;) )
ACC option (which includes other things I think). I asked my sales guy to find the build sheet.

Some observations in no particular order:

- Doors are way long compared to Volt. I had forgotten what a two-door design means for egress. I wouldn't change it, just sayin'.
- ACC is cool. Tried it only once. Seems it won't accelerate past the regular CC set point (which is good). Need to play with it some more. This will probably help with the commute since it is stop-n-stop a lot of the time.
- Mentioned in another thread. The setting to tilt the mirrors down in reverse is WAY helpful. Especially when backing into a space.
- Lane keeping and blind-spot alert works better than other cars I have driven. The little yellow icon on the outside mirrors is a nice touch. My boss' wife's Lexus has the blind spot alert feature. She uses it exclusively to make the lane-change decision (without looking! sheesh.). I've been in the computer business most of my life and don't trust them to always work.
- Still working with console config. I hate the bouncing leaf thinger, but, I like the classic-enhanced mode. Be nice to see some downloadable skins.
- CUE is ok, not terrible like some are saying. Need more training time. At least this display has some swipe moves unlike Volt. Haven't tried voice control yet. Did use voice control to dial a number from my phone contact list and that worked just like Volt. I like that it displays a message when the phone syncs up with bluetooth. It is a little slow switching modes. Example: the radio on start-up takes a few seconds longer than needed.
- Build date is 1/2014, so, the oil monitor is already saying 56%. Service is free er included.
- Brakes seem a little sticky. Probably disuse. Guess I need to exercise them a little. The brake feel is not quite as smooth during transition from regen to brakes as my Volt was. There is a definite spot where regen cuts off making me brake harder. It's not bad just different than Volt.
- LOVE the wheels+ tires. OMG way better than Volt. If I got another Volt for some reason I'd definitely upgrade the wheels+tires quickly. Still trying to find the adhesion drift point. These things are sticky in a good way.
- Valet mode is cool. Locks the compartment behind the radio and the glove box with a 4-digit pin.
- My kid locked himself in the trunk "just because". He's 9. Had a little fiddling to make it latch after the emergency release lanyard was pulled. I think he pulled it to close the lid.
- Drive dynamics are Volt-like, but, better/more sophisticated. I need more seat time to see if I like Sport or Tour better. Mostly I use Tour.
- I might be crazy, but, it seems like people respect this car on the road more than Volt. Stay farther back, don't cut me off, etc.
- The paddle regen is way cool. Almost comes to a complete stop. I read where it turns the brake lights on. Have to test that out.
- HD radio is WAY BETTER than Volt. Along with the noise cancellation the dynamic range and overall sound is pretty good.

Need more play time. Kind of busy this week to dig into her much.

More posts coming as I dig through everything! This car is AWESOME!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Is this car nice enough to warrant evicting your kids junk from the garage?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eviction in progress. Filling up the shed as we speak.

Already got bird poop on my new car. sheesh.

Car washes are included with purchase at this dealer.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I agree that the car is, in almost every way, better than the Volt. But that's - to most of us - to be expected.

Agree with your sentiments. I have a very short commute (less than 5 miles) and use ACC every day. I use it on surface roads, the highway, even my residential neighborhood. It's so good at maintaining speed, with only the minor irritation of over accelerating when a slower moving car moves out of the lane.

The paddles are a mixed blessing. I like them a lot, but when I get in my wife's Infiniti EX35 they aren't there ... despite my constant attempt to find and use them.

I didn't know that the brake lights came on when using the paddles. I did wonder, and now that I know I might use them less in certain contexts like the highway.

CUE is no more or less frustrating than the quirkiness I found in the Volt. Last night, for example, I apparently plugged my iPhone 6 in "too fast" and the whole radio wouldn't output audio. Even when I switched to FM/XM etc. Only with a full cycle of the car did it reset and work. I have pretty low expectations of the entertainment system, so I just learned to accept it.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Purchased new. Net price $43k after tax and grant. Not bad for an $80k+ MSRP! I did pay tax on $53k, so, ouch!

Between selling my truck and trading the Volt, my cashflow is about the same. Insurance went down a tiny bit since I went from two vehicles to one. About $35/mo less. My agent says the Caddy is rated as a more expensive car to repair (even more than Volt), so, they justify the cost.

I rate insurance guys with the other bottom-feeders: lawyers and car salesmen.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have pretty low expectations of the entertainment system, so I just learned to accept it.
Most factory radios leave something on the table. I had a Boston Acoustics in the '05 Dodge Magnum which was pretty good.

All this integration with other vehicle functions is making for a lesser audio system I think.

I don't mess around with 'entertainment' when I'm supposed to be driving. I stick to my local drive-time Rock station which sounds way better in HD.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Purchased new. Net price $43k after tax and grant. Not bad for an $80k+ MSRP! I did pay tax on $53k, so, ouch!.
I would love to know which value Georgia puts on one, we have a funky tax law for cars. Its no so much the MSRP but some odd number they arrive at the expresses the value of the car, in other words who knows. Between that an insurance it always leaves me wondering how much I want to spend on four wheels.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The paddles are a mixed blessing. I like them a lot, but when I get in my wife's Infiniti EX35 they aren't there ... despite my constant attempt to find and use them.
I know what you mean. My wife car has the volume control buttons where the paddles are. Every time I slow down, the radio volume goes up or goes down depending on which button I hit....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I didn't know that the brake lights came on when using the paddles. I did wonder, and now that I know I might use them less in certain contexts like the highway.
The ELR's brake lights illuminate both with the regen paddles and when shifting into L.

Regen on Demand decelerates the car at a maximum of 0.20 g, with the brake lights illuminating at 0.12 g and above. At 0.20 g, an ELR would theoretically stop from 70 mph in about 800 feet, versus 173 feet (0.95 g) in a full-brake situation. But the ELR won't come to a complete stop using only Regen on Demand.

The brake lights illuminate under "L" as well if the ELR is decelerating 0.12 g and above (but not in the Volt). "L" typically applies up to ~21 Kw of drag force when the accelerator pedal is not depressed, but I'm not sure how that translates into g-forces. I've seen my ELR regenerate as much as 60 Kw with the regen paddle(s) depressed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've gotten to where I almost always use the regen paddles for all braking unless I need to stop faster. I reach for them on my other vehicles also.
Most trips I only use actual brakes below 5mph. I get extra electric range, my wheels stay clean and the pads and rotors should last forever.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've gotten to where I almost always use the regen paddles for all braking unless I need to stop faster. I reach for them on my other vehicles also.
Most trips I only use actual brakes below 5mph. I get extra electric range, my wheels stay clean and the pads and rotors should last forever.

Me too, I extensively use the regen paddles but lately the brake pads started getting noisy when the brakes are released. I think the brakes are being underused. I did a couple of aggressive stops and everything went back to normal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Valet mode also appears to disable opening the trunk with the Fob. Found that out at the park the other day when my wife tried to retrieve her purse. Do like the real trunk over the hatch for keeping stuff out of sight.

How do you like the headlights? I find them a significant upgrade from the volt and the auto high-beam is a nice touch.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you like the headlights? I find them a significant upgrade from the volt and the auto high-beam is a nice touch.
Oh yeah! The headlights are a significant improvement over Volt. The DRLs are way cool as well. I really like the auto-high-beam thinger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts