GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More reports of deployed airbags and the car is literally frozen in the middle of the road...terrible situation especially at night...Any VOLT will go into PARK , if the airbags are deployed or there is a major issue with the high voltage battery!!! No neutral, the wheels will become solid to the asphalt...Time for GM to give every VOLT owner a reflective RED TRIANGLE. All the Ampera and all GM cars in Europe have it...It's mandatory by Law !!!. In any breakdown in the road you will place it 50 yards on the road behind your vehicle, and may save your life. Considering the peculiarity of the Volt's inability to go into neutral or any gear, I would like GM to send me a "free Red Triangle" , to me and to all the Volt drivers to avoid a preventable tragedy...Do I make any sense?.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My Chevy Volt 2012 came with the mandatory red triangle.

Have you imported it?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Never mind, I though you were from spain as your nick was "volt spain" :)

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Kits with up to 3 reflectors are available for under $25, same day delivery in some areas, or you can demand GM give you one. The double and triple exclamation points indicate this has extreme importance for you. If so, I can say with certainty that one of these two options can be in your trunk withing a few days. I have a set of 3 for each car: https://www.amazon.com/Cartman-Warning-Triangle-Approved-Identical/dp/B00VA1F1TS/

I also have a tire plug kit, pliers, plastic sheet, spare tire, scissors jack, wheel chocks, lug wrench, gloves. In the winter we have a bag containing emergency blankets, some food bars, boots, hat, scarf, warm overalls.

P.S. Keep in mind that reflectors, like blinking lights, are not a force-field around the car. An observant driver will stop or drive around a stationary object in the road (tree, boulder, car). An inattentive driver will hit the stationary object whether it has lights, bells, etc.

At best, I think lights and reflectors simply answer other driver's question, "Is there something wrong with that car?"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is there a specific slot they fit in the trunk area for euro-spec gen2 volts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Is there a specific slot they fit in the trunk area for euro-spec gen2 volts?
No. There is no euro-spec Gen2 at all. Developement of euro-spec Gen2 was stopped when Opel decided that they don't want it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for the above advice ,will get the reflectors. The recent thread " My wife is in the middle of the road with airbag deployed"., makes you think in advance , about a crisis that hopefully never will happen. The fact that GM safety is different for Europe then the old USA still a concern .

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
The fact that GM safety is different for Europe then the old USA still a concern .
The European laws were written by European legislators, not GM. There are other Euro differences regarding exterior lighting, tow-eye bolts, rear head restraints for middle passengers, as well as different test methods for fuel efficiency, and battery range. I think even side-view mirror regs are different.

I'd be fine if the US adopted the European safety equipment regs. But adding MORE regulations based on foreign laws? I doubt today's political climate would support them. I suspect they would be labeled job killing, nanny state intrusion on my liberty, big gubmint intrusion.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There is a fairly easy way to get the car out of park with power off. It's documented on this forum. It entails removing the RH console side panel and manually moving the park lock lever. Volts are not the only car that deactivates itself after an airbag deployment. You can understand GM's concern about leaving 360 volts of DC coursing through the veins of a wrecked car, especially considering some of it runs to the front bumper area where the charger is (gen 1). A minor safety concern.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
These have a nice heavy base to keep them from falling or flying away in the wind. There are three—one for the front of the car and two for the rear—packed in a 17.5" L, by 5-1/4" W x 4-1/4" H red plastic box. This box will not fit in any slots in the Volt or Bolt.

A note on using these. To avoid breaking, you need a thin, flat blade (small screwdriver, knife, letter opener) to gently pry open a latch to raise the arm. This is not obvious and there are no instructions.

Sign Traffic sign Line Triangle Signage

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fully undestand why GM blocks the car, but for an acute crisis, there should be clear solutions. I know about passenger console removal + screwdriver trick,but most of drivers DO NOT. Since the situation may become a life or death , there should be immediate actions ,like the reflective triangle+ blinkers+ ONSTAR+ police etc...The problem is time , time to dismantle the central console, get the screwdriver,in the meantime cars at high speed around you, so perhaps the REFLECTIVE TRIANGLE will slow the traffic enough to save your life until the Police show up.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
P.S. Keep in mind that reflectors, like blinking lights, are not a force-field around the car. An observant driver will stop or drive around a stationary object in the road (tree, boulder, car). An inattentive driver will hit the stationary object whether it has lights, bells, etc.
People plow into the backs of fully-lit fire trucks and squad cars all the time. I have a tough time thinking that any level of warning lights beyond "some" provides more than vanishingly small improvements.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Since the situation may become a life or death , there should be immediate actions ,like the reflective triangle+ blinkers+ ONSTAR+ police etc...
Half of those, GM already provides. One they can't. Just drop the ten bucks on the plastic gizmos if you want them.

The problem is time , time to dismantle the central console, get the screwdriver,in the meantime cars at high speed around you, so perhaps the REFLECTIVE TRIANGLE will slow the traffic enough to save your life until the Police show up.
Presuming you don't get squished while you're out running around in the dark, blocking the view of your own hazard lamps, trying to set up plastic triangles. :D

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Presuming you don't get squished while you're out running around in the dark, blocking the view of your own hazard lamps, trying to set up plastic triangles. :D
That's where the burning flares come into play, haha.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
More reports of deployed airbags and the car is literally frozen in the middle of the road...terrible situation especially at night...Any VOLT will go into PARK , if the airbags are deployed or there is a major issue with the high voltage battery!!! No neutral, the wheels will become solid to the asphalt...<snip>...Do I make any sense?.
No. The car is not literally frozen. The car doesn't go into park by itself.

By the way, did you notice the reflectors on the back of your car in 5 locations that are mandated by law? We didn't even need a European regulator for that. Weird, huh?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't think requiring triangles in every car makes sense, just because 98% of drivers would not know they were there, or how or when to use them, or care about any of those things. I have some that I have kept in all of my cars, none of which came with any from the factory. Besides, cars can't be expected to include everything you could possibly need, and should probably have with you, like a flashlight and jumper cables, etc. Even spare tires are getting rare. And even when included, the lug wrenches are always inadequate. As the owner/driver, you are responsible for those things. And the advantage is you only have to pay for those things once instead of paying for new ones with every car you buy.

I recommend the DOT triangles over the lighter weight euro style. Based on what I have seen, the quality and reflectivity is much better.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can see the future, the OP wil get a car with no seat belts, no airbags, no tires , no... you can get them later at AMAZON.COM at more reasonable price. LOL The flares of Steverino would be a good option, especially at night. Years ago my Diesel fuel line got frozen in the middle of a January night in an Ohio small narrow road , I think they saved my life as the 12 volts battery was dying in the super cold night, the flares prevented a full rear collision. By the way I had to stay inside the car ,or die of exposure outside.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
I can see the future, the OP will get a car with no seat belts, no airbags, no tires , no... you can get them later at AMAZON.COM at more reasonable price. LOL
Yes, I think Congress is eliminating these burdensome safety regs as part of the new tax plan. Bring back the steel dash and stake through the heart steering wheel shafts! Lower car prices and more car deaths will bring more jobs...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts