GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red fluid draining on left front end of car 2014 on cold start. Lots of fluid, but car still stops on backout a pulling back end. Lots of fluid. Could be brake or transfluid. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Red is typically transmission fluid while brake fluid is typically clear (when new). I would definitely check fluid levels before driving anymore!

·
Administrator
20,229 Posts
Did you pop the hood to see what reservoir is low? Probably not, as anything leaking as much as you seem to indicate would be visibly low and you'd have answered your own question

Is it oily?

Brake fluid would be oily and have an oil pale yellow/brownish color.

In addition to transmission, electrical component and battery coolant is red/pinkish.

Check the fluid levels. See my FAQ in the Newcomers forum:
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?119089-Battery-Coolant-and-other-Fluid-Levels-FAQ

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My guess is transmission fluid. And I would advise not to drive it like that at all. Should probably have it towed to the dealer, and call ahead so they can arrange a spot to drop it.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Dex Cool is orange, too. That can look red against some surfaces. And there's a LOT of Dex Cool in there.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
It makes more sense that the red fluid that is leaking is Dex-Cool; I have never heard of transmission fluid leaking out all at once unless you've ripped the bottom out of the transmission case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have a broken transmission hose, It drained most of fluid on to ground. Qoute:Replaced transmission cooler line and filled with transmission fluid, checks ok after repairs. $654.97 49000 miles Not a warranty part, charge was labor. Parts $35.46

1 - 10 of 10 Posts