GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Rick and I am a car guy. My last race was twelve years, four months and seven days ago...

All kidding aside, I'm a retired software engineer who saw the fiscal insanity of racing a Porsche 911 Cabriolet a while back. One of the crazy things I did back then was to spend about a thousand hours reverse engineering the electronic engine management system of the Porsche. You don't want to know how tedious it is to turn 1's and 0's from a memory chip into fully documented source code. (Not to mention building a schematic diagram by probing the traces of the printed circuit boards with an ohm meter.)

Anyhow, like many of you, I am fascinated by the engineering challenges of developing an E-REV for high volume deployment in the real world.

I'm concerned that the purely financial analysis of Volt ownership will look bad compared to a Prius or whatever other competitors reach the market by the time the Volt does. Depending on purchase prices, gas prices, electicity prices, fuel economy and miles driven per year, it could take many years to recover the extra initial investment; and that may determine the purchase decision of many potential buyers.

On the other hand, as many of you have pointed out, getting away from dependency on foreign oil has a value that is hard to put a price on. In addition, reducing generation of CO2 and other pollutants is a very big deal.

Anyhow, a big thanks to Lyle for creating this site and I look forward to lively discussions with you all over the coming months!

Rick (aka Cab Driver)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whatever the cost

I would gladly pay the $40,000.00 purchase price and drive for years to recoup that cost in energy savings if it meant that one less arab sheik was using my petrolium dollars to furnish his 747 or pass my greenbacks onto Osama Bin Laden.:eek:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts