GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TMS came on for the first time during charging (at least that I've observed since I've had my Volt ) after plugging in to charge a couple days ago.

As most of you know, I bought my Volt in Cali last Oct where the rather nice climate that I miss terribly always kept the battery in the optimal range. Last week I finally drove my Volt out to AZ where we've been experiencing a record high summer with temps regularly above 115F. After running errands a couple days ago we got home and plugged in the Volt and for the first time I heard the TMS turn on and start running while the car was off. It's possible the TMS has turned on in the past while driving but I wouldn't have noticed.

Anyway, it did catch my attention and all I could think was how satisfying it is to know GM employed a TMS (along with only using 60% of the battery capacity) after seeing what our cousin Leaf owners are going through. I have no worries about having a Volt in AZ - in fact we're looking to buy another one possibly by year end. I have a couple co-workers here with Leaf's already seeing 15-25% capacity loss in less than a year!

Nice job GM

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm sure there was a lot of years of experience on the Volt team. And the design of the car shows it. I know some of the original team have left GM but hopefully GM keeps up the A+ design work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Our AZ Volt has been running TMS while plugged in (in our garage) routinely all summer. Interestingly, range hardly has diminished. A few days ago I got ~46 actual miles on a charge in typical driving with the A/C running in ECO mode (medium fan at a comfortable 75 degrees). I also have found that the only time I need COMFORT mode (temporarily) is when getting into the car after it's baked in the sun for several hours. 98% of the time ECO has been quite adequate to handle our 110+ degree afternoons. Great job on the high-temperature testing, GM!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Its clear as time marches on the Volt is the best designed EREV or EV in production today, bar none.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have no worries about having a Volt in AZ - in fact we're looking to buy another one possibly by year end. I have a couple co-workers here with Leaf's already seeing 15-25% capacity loss in less than a year!
Congrats on your move to AZ, glad to hear that the Volt is working out for you. Any idea of your coworkers were active on MNL?

·
8,680 Posts
Its clear as time marches on the Volt is the best designed EREV or EV in production today, bar none.
In large part, I think that's because it's really a second generation car going up against first generation cars. People bash GM for the way the EV1 program ended (most of the other EVs were destroyed too,) but GM kept the lessons they learned, and the Volt is really the EV2 in most respects - there's no way GM could have put out such a remarkable car on such a tight schedule if they hadn't had detailed information on how most of the pieces work in practice from EV1 (and more from Two-Mode Hybrid. Whole pieces came over from Two mode directly - like the transmission housing and the smaller MG.) Most of the competitors are the first serious effort at an EV from that manufacturer...

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
My TMS came on for the first time during charging (at least that I've observed since I've had my Volt ) after plugging in to charge a couple days ago.

As most of you know, I bought my Volt in Cali last Oct where the rather nice climate that I miss terribly always kept the battery in the optimal range. Last week I finally drove my Volt out to AZ where we've been experiencing a record high summer with temps regularly above 115F. After running errands a couple days ago we got home and plugged in the Volt and for the first time I heard the TMS turn on and start running while the car was off. It's possible the TMS has turned on in the past while driving but I wouldn't have noticed.

Anyway, it did catch my attention and all I could think was how satisfying it is to know GM employed a TMS (along with only using 60% of the battery capacity) after seeing what our cousin Leaf owners are going through. I have no worries about having a Volt in AZ - in fact we're looking to buy another one possibly by year end. I have a couple co-workers here with Leaf's already seeing 15-25% capacity loss in less than a year!

Nice job GM
Hehe now you understand what I have been saying for months. You may find it kicking off the TMS every few hours while plugged in. Agreed a great design.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
After what we see Leaf owners going through, I wish there was a gigantic "Thanks for the TMS!" banner hanging somewhere, that we could all sign with Sharpie pens!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Maybe AZ volt owners can answer this. If you have the Volt set to delayed charging and plug in with a very HOT garage. Will the TMS run any time before charging starts, or will it only run during and after charging finishes? I've experienced TMS during charging, and often for ten minutes once charging finishes. If I leave the fully charged Volt plugged in my hot Texas charge it will continue to cycle TMS about every 4 hours for a couple minutes. But I've never seen TMS run while the car is in delayed mode waiting to charge. This makes me want to not use delayed mode during the summer.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Maybe AZ volt owners can answer this. If you have the Volt set to delayed charging and plug in with a very HOT garage. Will the TMS run any time before charging starts, or will it only run during and after charging finishes? I've experienced TMS during charging, and often for ten minutes once charging finishes. If I leave the fully charged Volt plugged in my hot Texas charge it will continue to cycle TMS about every 4 hours for a couple minutes. But I've never seen TMS run while the car is in delayed mode waiting to charge. This makes me want to not use delayed mode during the summer.

-Eric
Sorry I can't tell you as,we have ours set to charge immediate. I suspect it may have to do with state of charge but there really is no reason not to run it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Our Volt charges overnight except on weekends when lower rates apply all day. TMS often runs after we plug it in but before charging begins. I can't tell you whether it runs when the Volt is not plugged in (charging or not), since we plug it in all the time it's in our garage regardless of TOD.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm in Dallas, work from home and my car sits in a very hot garage. I also used delayed charging to take advantage of off-peak rates. As long as it's plugged in, the TMS will cycle throughout the day to keep the battery cool. I can hear the Blink unit "thump" on and off many times a day. Often it's only for a couple of minutes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts