GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Thought for the day. If your running all EV and no ICE you may want to think about having a premium filter installed for that just in case day. Just a thought.
Ain't wrong, but that's part of why the oil-change meter's got a calendar factor to it too. Even if you drive almost 100% EV, it'll tick down and tell you to do the maintenance after two years for exactly this kind of reason.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
For the record guys I change my own oil as well on all my vehicles that are not under warranty. If the car is under warranty, the engine fails for any reason and GM asks for proof that the oil change was done on schedule and with the correct oil you need that paper trail.

I have done many oil changes myself over the nearly 50 years I've been driving. To face a huge bill for replacing or to repair an engine in a car is ridiculously expensive especially when it could have been avoided. If you don't mind the risk that's certainly your call.

Messy oil changes at the dealer? Not up this way but maybe the dealers in Canada are better...

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only thing that I think is specific to Volt oil filters, at least on my 2013 is that they don't have an anti-drainback valve. I had changed mine with a Napa filter and noticed this when the old one I pulled off did. The Volt filter is exactly the same as some others dimensionally minus the valve, so what Napa said was some places just use to same ones to simplify inventory. So AC-Delco lists the PF65 for the Volt, but its counterpart would be the PF47E used on many vehicles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They are interchangeable, but the standard PF64 is what's called for, if you want to save some money.
2017 Owner's Manual calls for the UPF64R, not the standard PF64. I'm not going to get into which one anybody should use in your car, that's up to you. The PF64 and UPF64R are mechanically interchangeable, yes. But there are construction differences between the standard Delco PF filter and the UPF. Check on YouTube for teardowns if you're interested. If you're a masochist, try the Bob is the Oil Guy forum. Long story short, the gaskets and seals in the UPF filter are a longer lasting material and the filter element is geared toward longer oil change intervals of the synthetic oil + low ICE use on the Volt.

Personally I almost never use my ICE in the Volt, so on top of using the filter GM specifies, I figure it will be the better choice for a 2 year oil change interval without seeping externally or breaking down internally.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2017 Owner's Manual calls for the UPF64R, not the standard PF64. I'm not going to get into which one anybody should use in your car, that's up to you. The PF64 and UPF64R are mechanically interchangeable, yes. But there are construction differences between the standard Delco PF filter and the UPF. Check on YouTube for teardowns if you're interested. If you're a masochist, try the Bob is the Oil Guy forum. Long story short, the gaskets and seals in the UPF filter are a longer lasting material and the filter element is geared toward longer oil change intervals of the synthetic oil + low ICE use on the Volt.

Personally I almost never use my ICE in the Volt, so on top of using the filter GM specifies, I figure it will be the better choice for a 2 year oil change interval without seeping externally or breaking down internally.

View attachment 170843
Correct, the UPF64R is the recommended filter for our Volts. That said, there was a shortage of those specific filters during our 2 years of free oil changes (2016-18) that even our dealer used the UPF64 on our Volt. However, I switched it back to the UPF64R once those ran out and I began changing the oil myself. I'll also second you can get in-depth via Bob is the Oil Guy's website if you really want to about the differences or do what most do and just run what's recommended in the manual.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts