GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I searched around and didn't find an answer to this - I understand there is a specific oil filter recommended in the owners manual for the Volt. My question is, is it necessary to order this filter separately and bring it to the auto shop (not a dealership) when I go in for an oil change, or can I just use whatever filter the auto shop provides as part of the oil change package?

Thanks,

- Bill

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The filter is just a standard off the shelf filter. I own three GM products and all, including the Volt, take the same filter.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Filter probably isn't that much different between brands. I would make sure that the oil meets the GM spec however.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
With the mileage between oil changes being so large, thus the time interval being over a year...possibly two years...I choose to use the GM brand called for in the manual. Peace of mind regarding quality and functionality. Currently $9 at Amazon. You can't afford $9??? 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the mileage between oil changes being so large, thus the time interval being over a year...possibly two years...I choose to use the GM brand called for in the manual. Peace of mind regarding quality and functionality. Currently $9 at Amazon. You can't afford $9??? 'Nuff said.
Mine (2016 volt) is ~$18 at Amazon, but yeah, I'm thinking I'd rather be safe than sorry. On the other hand if it doesn't make a difference to use whatever generic filter is provided by the auto shop versus the ACDelco version, I wouldn't mind saving the money?

Do folks here normally use whatever filter is provided by the auto shop when they go in for an oil change, or do y'all bring their own filter?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
it's up to you but I'd let them supply the filter as it's common to many cars.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Years ago, I read of a testing of oil filter brands funded and published by a car magazine. As I recall, and it sticks in my mind because I had been using that brand for years because of its being inexpensive, was that Fram (among other brands) did poorly in filtering small metal particles and its back flow valve did poorly.

The only way to verify the efficacy of oil filters is to test them in a lab. We mortals don't have that capability. Therefore, sticking with the manufacturer's recommendation seems the smart thing to do.

Reactions: bentbiker

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Do you really run the engine that much anyway? If you follow the recommendations in the manual all your replacements are genuine GM parts? 12 volt battery? You use OEM tires?

To each their own but I'd let the people doing the oil change supply the filter.

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about getting an oil change done somewhere other than at the dealer. Getting the oil change done at some place other than at the dealer gives GM wiggle room to get out of a warranty claim down the road if a problem arrises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's up to you but I'd let them supply the filter as it's common to many cars.
To clarify, are there reasons for going with the auto shop filter besides cost? Excluding cost, I'd think the official recommendation would be the one to go with - unless the officially recommended filter and whatever generic filter the auto shop provides are equally comparable and it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the heads up about using a dealer vs generic shop btw.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Mine (2016 volt) is ~$18 at Amazon, but yeah, I'm thinking I'd rather be safe than sorry. On the other hand if it doesn't make a difference to use whatever generic filter is provided by the auto shop versus the ACDelco version, I wouldn't mind saving the money?

Do folks here normally use whatever filter is provided by the auto shop when they go in for an oil change, or do y'all bring their own filter?
Is that an A/C Delco PF64 for $18? They're less than $9 on eBay with free shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's listed as an ACDelco UPF64R. I had thought it might be interchangeable with the PF64, but there seems to be quite a bit of debate about this: GM Pf64/UPF64R oil filter confusion

But yeah, I'll just pay the ~$18 if that will be better for the car. I'm just curious if it makes a noticeable difference buying the exact filter listed the owners manual or just using whatever an auto shop provides.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
It's listed as an ACDelco UPF64R. I had thought it might be interchangeable with the PF64, but there seems to be quite a bit of debate about this: GM Pf64/UPF64R oil filter confusion

But yeah, I'll just pay the ~$18 if that will be better for the car. I'm just curious if it makes a noticeable difference buying the exact filter listed the owners manual or just using whatever an auto shop provides.
They are interchangeable, but the standard PF64 is what's called for, if you want to save some money.

·
Registered
418 Posts
To be honest, I'd be more concerned about getting an oil change done somewhere other than at the dealer. Getting the oil change done at some place other than at the dealer gives GM wiggle room to get out of a warranty claim down the road if a problem arrises.
Ditto for me, however my main concern is them lifting in the wrong spot and damaging the battery. The price for oil changes & tire rotations at a Dealer isn't bad anymore, and it's not worth being cheap over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought 4 UPF64R filters at RockAuto for $27.75 including shipping, (no tax).
I change the oil myself with Valvoline Advanced full synthetic (meets GM spec, 5 qts for $23 at Walmart) every 12 months at 16,000 miles (7,000 on ICE).
I don't let any shop touch the car unless I have to.
2017 premier.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I bought 4 UPF64R filters at RockAuto for $27.75 including shipping, (no tax).
I change the oil myself with Valvoline Advanced full synthetic (meets GM spec, 5 qts for $23 at Walmart) every 12 months at 16,000 miles (7,000 on ICE).
I don't let any shop touch the car unless I have to.
2017 premier.
That's awesome and I too am a guy that appreciates doing my own oil changes. I love to do them out of warranty but horror stories abound regarding people that have had warranty claims denied because they don't have the paper trail required to prove they had oil changes done at intervals required by the manufacturer.

A repair bill for a generator gone bad is far to big to risk saving a few bucks on an oil change. Yes I enjoy doing them myself but paying a dealer to do it is a small price to pay in my book.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's awesome and I too am a guy that appreciates doing my own oil changes. I love to do them out of warranty but horror stories abound regarding people that have had warranty claims denied because they don't have the paper trail required to prove they had oil changes done at intervals required by the manufacturer.

A repair bill for a generator gone bad is far to big to risk saving a few bucks on an oil change. Yes I enjoy doing them myself but paying a dealer to do it is a small price to pay in my book.
I did let the dealer do my first oil change because it was free and the car was in for a recall.
The service writer said he would have his best Volt technician do the work.
I picked the car up, drove home, and opened the hood.
There was oil splashed around on the engine cover around the oil fill cap, and had run down around the oil fill.
I snapped a pic, and emailed the service writer explaining they would not be doing my regular maintenance.
He apologized, but couldn't give me my money back because I hadn't paid for it.
I cleaned up the mess. I have had this kind of stuff happen many times from many dealers.
I keep all my receipts for oil and filters, and write up my own service document with date and odometer reading, and sign it. Then reset the oil life meter so it matches exactly.
I've heard stories of horror stories, but never heard one firsthand.
It's just not worth letting someone else mess with my car to me. But that's just me and I realize it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've changed my own oil since I was 15 (50 years). My research makes me believe Purolator makes the best oil filter for the money. There may be a few better, but they're all overpriced in relation to Purolator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've changed my own oil since I was 15 (50 years). My research makes me believe Purolator makes the best oil filter for the money. There may be a few better, but they're all overpriced in relation to Purolator.
Yes, me too. The Purolator PureOne filter is my filter of choice. Used to be gold, now it's blue for some reason. A premium feature filter without the $10-20 price. Problem was, when I needed my first batch of filters for the Volt, Purolator was redesigning the one for the Volt based on the new updated GM specification, and I couldn't get any at the time, so I bought four of the ACDelco UPF64R updated filter. When I've used up all four of those, I'll probably go back to the Purolator PureOne (PL11403).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I searched around and didn't find an answer to this - I understand there is a specific oil filter recommended in the owners manual for the Volt. My question is, is it necessary to order this filter separately and bring it to the auto shop (not a dealership) when I go in for an oil change, or can I just use whatever filter the auto shop provides as part of the oil change package?

Thanks,

- Bill
Just food for thought here. I'm a Watercraft Engineer with the US Army. Couple of years ago I had an opportunity to pull and vessel out of cold storage and take her to sea trails. We did give a thought to the filters which had been in stalled the whole time (5 yearish). Long story short the paper element had deteriorated over time and be came pulp over time, got sucked it the engine and we had to do some interior clean up. Luckily we caught it before it did any serious damage.

Thought for the day. If your running all EV and no ICE you may want to think about having a premium filter installed for that just in case day. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts