GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was informed today that my OEM tires need replacing. Any recommendations on a good replacement tire that isn't too expensive. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in cheap tires but not sure I necessarily need to replace them with the rather pricey OEM tires either. I think handling and wet traction are important, maybe even more so than the rolling resistant OEM type tires on it now but wouldn't mind a good tire that has a little of both characteristics. Not interested in runflats though.

Thanks,

·
Registered
195 Posts
I installed a set of Continental Pure Contact EcoPlus tires on our 2012 and have been very pleased with the results. Cost about $120 a tire on tirebuyer.com (free shipping). Ride much better, quieter and handle better than the Goodyear OEMs. However, mileage seems to be a tiny bit less - our 2011 which we just turned in upon expiration of the lease was giving us about 38 miles and our 2012 about 36-37. Not a huge difference in my view and definitely worth it for the enhanced ride/noise/handling characteristics of the Contis vs. the OEM Goodyears.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With my winding commute in the mountains, I just replaced my OEM tires with wider 235/50/17 Uniroyal Tiger Paw (non LRR) tires for $110 each. They look great a bit wider on the stock rims but I'm sure I will take a few mile hit on AER but worth being a bit safer on the roads. I will check back after I have more mileage info after my week of commute next week.

·
Registered
335 Posts
With my winding commute in the mountains, I just replaced my OEM tires with wider 235/50/17 Uniroyal Tiger Paw (non LRR) tires for $110 each. They look great a bit wider on the stock rims but I'm sure I will take a few mile hit on AER but worth being a bit safer on the roads. I will check back after I have more mileage info after my week of commute next week.
What evidence do you have that Uniroyal Tiger Paws will be "a bit safer on the roads?"

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I just replaced my OEM tires last week after 55,000 miles. What did I replace them with? Another set of OEM tires. For me the most important thing is EV range and from what I know, the best range is with OEM tires.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What evidence do you have that Uniroyal Tiger Paws will be "a bit safer on the roads?"
Looking at it strictly with an engineering approach I figure:

1) more rubber on the road will give more grip
2) going with non-Low Rolling Resistance tires will also give more grip

Th car was squealing the tires around many of the corners during my commute so I figure if I hear less now, that will confirm having more traction than before. I have read many Volt owners swear once they went to other brands of tires, their handling improved, so I also took that into consideration.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I put on the least expensive set of four I could find. My range is back to where it started so no worries there. My car is a lease and due to my location I go through tires pretty quick. They only need to be the same brand when you turn the car back in.
Was informed today that my OEM tires need replacing. Any recommendations on a good replacement tire that isn't too expensive. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in cheap tires but not sure I necessarily need to replace them with the rather pricey OEM tires either. I think handling and wet traction are important, maybe even more so than the rolling resistant OEM type tires on it now but wouldn't mind a good tire that has a little of both characteristics. Not interested in runflats though.

Thanks,

·
Registered
111 Posts
First commute with the new 235/50/17 non LRR tires was such a HUGE difference. No squealing around the corners, less lean and quieter ride. My range went down about 1 mile of range so not to concerned there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The rest of the week's commute was pretty much the same. Used 0.07 gallons more than I normally do, right at the end of my trip. No squeeling and car feels much more stable on the corners. The new sway bar I installed last month has been a great addition as well.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Continental Conti.eContact Hybrid (if available)
Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance (may be other name in US)
Dunlop SportMaxx RT (if EV range hit is acceptable)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The new sway bar I installed last month has been a great addition as well.
I must have missed this thread - more info about the sway bar please! I love the way the Volt corners already, especially with my super grippy Michelin Pilot Super Sports on there (same size you just got), but flatter is better!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought the non-adjustable rear Whiteline (Aussie company) sway bar from a US distributor "Bad News Racing" for $190 with free shipping. Took about 4 weeks to get and had it installed by a local shop for $94. It tightens up the rear sway on the tight corners and such a delight with the new tires too. Not only is there less lean but the shock over correction when you straighten out is gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts