GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my tale of woe continues on with my condo. The board still wont get off its butt and act to approve EV charging one way or the other. Ridiculous. Although our attorney has at least stated that, thankfully, even if the board does nothing at all, charging from the few 110 outlets in the garage would be fine, because we already let people use them. So better than nothing. That said, I would still like to track the exact Kwh used, and pay extra to the association so no one can bitch about me using the outlets. The Kill-A-Watt device seems to have had a lot of complaints about it being flimsy and prone to melting. Is there a better quality plug-in meter I can buy to track the power used by the 110-volt outlet when charging? Plus I would need a short length extension cord to hang the Volt L1 charger from, so as not to dangle it straight out of the outlet, possibly breaking the plastic on both. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The Kill-A-Watt device seems to have had a lot of complaints about it being flimsy and prone to melting.
Keep in mind, with forums usually its the ones with issues that post, you can't know if that means there is an unexpected failure rate or the true cause of failure.

For example, I have a Kill-a-watt, been using it continuously on my Volt EVSE for 2.6 years without any issues. One thing I don't ever do is unplug either the Kill-a-watt from the wall outlet or the Volt EVSE plug from the Kill-a-watt. Every time you unplug, plug back in, your causing wear and will increase the resistance, which mean more heat.

In all cases of failure, its heat from bad connections, a lose socket or EVSE plug is likely the failure, though its possible poor assembly in the Kill-a-watt is the issue, more likely its just the victim of plug/socket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had a Brand Engineering power meter for 7 years. Far better quality than the Kill-A-Watts I own. A lot more expensive also. I have used it with everything from a heat pump water heater to the Volt. No signs of overheating. Starting at $149.00. http://www.brandelectronics.com/meters.html

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Looks like a 16 gauge cord on that watts up, at least the Kill-A-Watt has no cord to have losses which generate heat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts