GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I just bought a Volt today, I'll pick it up on Monday. I have a 120 outlet that's in reach of my driveway but I think I'll install a 240 charger. What chargers do you recommend? I see that Bosch has a 30A 240 Chevrolet charger, are there other chargers available?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I just bought a Volt today, I'll pick it up on Monday. I have a 120 outlet that's in reach of my driveway but I think I'll install a 240 charger. What chargers do you recommend? I see that Bosch has a 30A 240 Chevrolet charger, are there other chargers available?
There are a number of choices. Whenever this question comes up here Clipper Creek gets more recommendations than any other.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I have a Bosch SPX EVSE (what you call a charger is really a protected charging cord, the charger is actually built into the car) and paid way too much for it. Hdmi done my research I would have followed the masses on this forum and gotten a Clipper Creek. My EVSE has worked out just fine, though there was a recall and they sent me a new J1772 cord and connector and sent an electrician to swap it out. It had something to do with the connector overheating at 30A (the volt uses about half that) so I figured I'd get it fixed in case my next EVSE can handle more. The new cord has some temp sensor which cuts off the flow if it gets too hot to avoid melting stuff.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I went with a GE unit due to price. It has worked perfectly, no issues. Now I have moved and am shopping for a new EVSE. I may go with the GE again. Everyone loves the Clipper Creek and they seem to be rock solid. But I can't see spending that much more for something with the same functionality. If I don't get the GE I will probably get the Chargepoint unit. More money but also more features.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Outdoor-Level-2-DuraStation-Wall-Mount-with-18-ft-Cord-EVDSWGH-CP01/205808537

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which model of the Clipper Creeks should I get? I'm getting the 2017 Volt.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Which model of the Clipper Creeks should I get? I'm getting the 2017 Volt.
I would go with the HCS-40. It is more than the Volt can handle, but for such a small increase in price, for me, it is clearly the best overall value. You will almost certainly replace the Volt with a car than can handle a faster charging rate than the Volt will accept. The Volt will only accept a 3.6 rate, but your next car will probably accept a lot more. For the additional price, I would go with the HCS-40.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I also future proofed a bit, but then again, if my next car is a Tesla, my 30 AMP EVSE would most likely be replaced with a bigger one anyway. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the cheapest one to get the job done, knowing full well that new tech is coming. But I'm also one of those folks who buys and holds cars forever, so I'm not on the typical 3 year car replacement cycle. You can't really go wrong either way. The main savings is going from a gas guzzler to a Volt, the fuel savings will be significant enough that a couple hundred dollars price difference isn't going to make or break the bank.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm looking at installing an EVSE charger inside my garage. I don't have a 240v service outlet available, so I'm going to need to have some electrical work done.

Is there any benefit between a hard wired connection vs. a plug-in connection?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm looking at installing an EVSE charger inside my garage. I don't have a 240v service available, so I'm going to need to have some electrical work done.

Is there any benefit between a hard wired connection vs. a plug-in connection?
The plug in versions are easy to unplug during thunderstorms (is that too obvious?) :)
Or, if you move to another residence you can take it with you.

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts