GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Volt, and the only thing I ever listen to through the stereo system is music or podcasts from my phone. I plug directly in via USB...which is typically very slick.

However, since I've updated my phone (iPhone 5S) to the latest OS (iOS 8.4), this functionality no longer works. If I attempt to plug in while playing a song from Spotify, for example, it will play around 1 second of the song and then stop.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Has anyone found a clever workaround? (besides an Aux cable or bluetooth)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Spotify may be a DRM issue. Does it play regular music content stored on the phone?

That's a bummer. I have a 2014 so I can't confirm it for you. But it does still work for me on my 2014.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ruled out Spotify as the problem...same issues if I'm trying Google Play or iPhone's native Podcast app. I then tried with my wife's phone (she hasn't upgraded to iOS 8.4 yet) and it worked beautifully.

Fulgerite - have you upgraded to iOS 8.4 yet?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Checked this with my 2012 Volt and iPhone 6 with iOS 8.4 and Spotify over USB. It worked fine. Out of curiosity, does the app just freeze or does it pause and refuse to unpause or do you get some error messages about incompatibility?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting... and good question.

The app itself doesn't freeze. When I connect, the currently playing song on Spotify will play over the stereo for a second or two. I will also see the song title, etc...in the console. Then it pauses. On the console it appears paused and on the app. When I resume on the app, the track time starts to progress again, but it never resumes on the console.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's helpful information to know that iPhone 6 + 8.4 is working. Is there a way to truly reset my Volt stereo? (even if I lose my radio presets...which I rarely use)

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
Interesting... and good question.

The app itself doesn't freeze. When I connect, the currently playing song on Spotify will play over the stereo for a second or two. I will also see the song title, etc...in the console. Then it pauses. On the console it appears paused and on the app. When I resume on the app, the track time starts to progress again, but it never resumes on the console.
I use 8.4 on an iPhone 5s. No new issues added and no old issues were fixed. Make sure your phone's bluetooth is off when using the USB Audio port.

That being said, the best media experience I have in the Volt (2103) is plugging my phone in to a USB power outlet via the cigarette lighter and using bluetooth audio. Then I use Siri in hands free mode by issuing commands such as "Hey Siri, play music shuffled"...and using other siri commands.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use 8.4 on an iPhone 5s. No new issues added and no old issues were fixed. Make sure your phone's bluetooth is off when using the USB Audio port.

That being said, the best media experience I have in the Volt (2103) is plugging my phone in to a USB power outlet via the cigarette lighter and using bluetooth audio. Then I use Siri in hands free mode by issuing commands such as "Hey Siri, play music shuffled"...and using other siri commands.
I don't turn off my Bluetooth when using USB for audio. It doesn't seem to cause any issues for me. If the OP has a 2012 Volt, likely they don't have Bluetooth audio. I don't on my 2012 and Siri isn't functional.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt (no BT streaming audio, but with Bose package) and an old iPhone 4S which I use exclusively for iPod duty these days. I updated it to 8.4 and have not had an issue with connecting it to USB in my Volt. Works fine. Then again, I don't use Spotify. I'll have to try Pandora on my way to work today.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
How is Google turn by turn working with bluetooth on ?

----
If you USB plug in to a rent car remember to delete any phone information it collects when you return the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have same issue. IPhone 5S no longer syncs via USB

I have a 2012 Volt, and the only thing I ever listen to through the stereo system is music or podcasts from my phone. I plug directly in via USB...which is typically very slick.

However, since I've updated my phone (iPhone 5S) to the latest OS (iOS 8.4), this functionality no longer works. If I attempt to plug in while playing a song from Spotify, for example, it will play around 1 second of the song and then stop.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Has anyone found a clever workaround? (besides an Aux cable or bluetooth)
I have used USB to play music, podcasts, pandora, spotify with no issues for 3.5 years until Apple Music came along. My son's non-upgraded iPhone 5c works like a charm in the car with USB.

Same issue. Plays 1 second a stops playing. I can press play on phone and player starts on phone but nothing plays over car system. Screens says "reading USB".

What happened?

·
Registered
2 Posts
that's exactly my observation, too:
since I activated Apple Music, audio replay through the USB/lightning cable doesn't work anymore.
on the Volt side it appears to "read USB media"...forever - while on the iPhone side the App seems to work normal, except no audible signal..
I encourage everyone to report this on the Apple support page: fixing it on the iOS side is much easier than on the Volt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is clearly an issue that has been introduced through the iOS 8.4 update.
No audio output at all - not Apple Music or any other audio via USB.

This can certainly be fixed on either side: Chevy or Apple.
Practically I very much hope that Apple will fix what they broke - not only because that's what one should do if you break something - but also because the rollout of the fix via iOS update is known to everyone.
In contrast a fix in the Volt radio software is anything but user friendly: for thousands of Volt-owners some or many will have to go to the dealer and have it fixed there: inapropriately much higher cost.

x-ing fingers however this happens soon!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If this is part of the music sharing (bug/feature) it was turned back on in a beta release for testing

see if 8.4.1 helps

I only have 8.4.1 on a old iPad-2

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was getting crackling/distortion in music when cabled to my iphone6. The tech at the dealership found an update for the the Volt that took care of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Volt not playing USB iPhone music, "Reading USB", or "Paused"

I have iOS 8.4 on an iPhone 6 and a 2012 Volt. Apple Music service has been working fine for 3 weeks, then all of sudden it stopped working yesterday, 8/3/2015. It either says Reading USB, or Paused, though the music on the iPhone is playing. Very frustrating, especially since 2012 Volt cannot do Bluetooth streaming. It has Bluetooth, but Bluetooth only works with the "phone", though I have noticed it works with Goolge Maps too, but it adds "Call ended" after each turn-by-turn direction. Help GM!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts