GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Volt we leased brand new in April of 2018. Last week I called the dealer to get the oil changed and tires rotated for routine maintenance and during the call I asked the service manager if this car has any recalls open on it as I had read something on the possibility of a recall on this model yr Volt. He proceeded to tell me "yes" there is and I asked him to perform the recall when I get it in for the oil/tire service, which they did perform.

The next day, I started to realize some things had changed and these changes persisted thru the weekend and into present day. The gas gauge and the battery gauge are both off as compared to the original date of purchase for the past 3 years of ownership. Up until last Thursday (3-18-21), I was getting up to 60 miles on a full battery charge and 325 miles on a full tank of gas - in the neighborhood of 350-385 of miles on a full tank of gas and a full charge (This obviously depending on variables of outside weather temps and the in car control settings while driving).

Now since the recall update, my full battery gauge only goes up to 36 miles on a full charge and 280 on a full tank of gas - to reflect ~30- 70miles reduction when fully charged and filled.

I contacted the Chevy customer service center 800 number and they proceeded to inform there are "No" recalls for my specific car despite the dealer telling me there was.

I contacted the dealer and the same service manager tells me the recall they performed would not have any impact on the changes I'm experiencing and the recall he has listed is for "All" Chevy Volts and mine is included. He even tells me he has a print out of the recall as noted in his GM Bulletin

I took it back in for them to check it out, and after further review they now insist and tell me nothing is wrong and the computer shows no signs of any codes or anything wrong and/or out of calibration.

I asked him if they can do a "reverse" on the recall and he said "no go" as it's a computer software update and can't be "un-done."

Any advice or anyone else experience the same issues? Any recourse or fix to regain the mileage?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I recently had one of the hybrid control modules replaced in my 2018 Volt. I had a check engine light illuminate which led to the diagnosis. The service advisor did not mention there was a recall but maybe the recall was published after I had my issue.

Perhaps you could list the specific module or recall number to help the forum identify what module may be in question?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer says it's listed on his GM Service Workbench program as N202307990 with the description Increased Customer Satisfaction. The actual service performed in the vehicle report is Op Code 9105392 and the description of the service performed is N202307990 - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 Reprogramming with SPS.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
The HPCMs are in charge of making those estimates, so the reprogramming probably cleared the historical usage data. Those data basically convert the base assumptions to fit how YOU drive and use your car, both on gas and on electric-only driving. Those data will be rebuilt over time, but you can build it by taking a couple of long drives. It seems to track about the most recent 150 miles for each state of driving separately, so drain a couple of full charges and half a tank and you should be seeing much better numbers. (Or, like me, you can decide that it's all guesswork on the car's part and doesn't affect what will actually be consumed at drive-time, so worrying about and fixing it isn't worth the effort.)

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
674 Posts
That last software update also reset some of my vehicle settings. Found that out the hard way when ERDTT came on when it was only 0 C (32F). The other settings that were reset included location charging, and the precondition setting that keeps engine off if it’s plugged in ( that’s an important one for those preconditioning the car in a closed garage!)

Reactions: mhamilton

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Volt we leased brand new in April of 2018. Last week I called the dealer to get the oil changed and tires rotated for routine maintenance and during the call I asked the service manager if this car has any recalls open on it as I had read something on the possibility of a recall on this model yr Volt. He proceeded to tell me "yes" there is and I asked him to perform the recall when I get it in for the oil/tire service, which they did perform.

The next day, I started to realize some things had changed and these changes persisted thru the weekend and into present day. The gas gauge and the battery gauge are both off as compared to the original date of purchase for the past 3 years of ownership. Up until last Thursday (3-18-21), I was getting up to 60 miles on a full battery charge and 325 miles on a full tank of gas - in the neighborhood of 350-385 of miles on a full tank of gas and a full charge (This obviously depending on variables of outside weather temps and the in car control settings while driving).

Now since the recall update, my full battery gauge only goes up to 36 miles on a full charge and 280 on a full tank of gas - to reflect ~30- 70miles reduction when fully charged and filled.

I contacted the Chevy customer service center 800 number and they proceeded to inform there are "No" recalls for my specific car despite the dealer telling me there was.

I contacted the dealer and the same service manager tells me the recall they performed would not have any impact on the changes I'm experiencing and the recall he has listed is for "All" Chevy Volts and mine is included. He even tells me he has a print out of the recall as noted in his GM Bulletin

I took it back in for them to check it out, and after further review they now insist and tell me nothing is wrong and the computer shows no signs of any codes or anything wrong and/or out of calibration.

I asked him if they can do a "reverse" on the recall and he said "no go" as it's a computer software update and can't be "un-done."

Any advice or anyone else experience the same issues? Any recourse or fix to regain the mileage?
I received a similar notice. i was able to get over 14kWh on my new 2017 Volt and gradually over the course of the next 87,000 miles it has been reduced to around 13 kWh. I thought this would boost it back up to around 14 kWh. Was I ever mistaken!!! The kWh have been reduced to 12.5. The service writer tells me that it was clear in the notice I received (which I gave to the dealer and did not receive back). He also tells me it can't be undone. He reports that the software update was to increase the longevity of the battery. He kept repeating that the available power had not changed; the car still had all the battery power available to it. I finally got him to understand that although the car might have it available, it was not available to drive and the car would switch to gas. I AM ANGRY!!! I never would have taken the car to get the update if I had realized what it would do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue had dealer do work but prior to work 2017 Volt getting 42 miles on a charge when used to get 50-55...still doesn't get the full charge. Disappointed for sure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts