GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Yes, if the vehicle has a salvage title, the factory warranties are gone, but recalls are still honored.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Salvage means the car was totalled by the insurance co. and junked. So, no longer warranted by the factory any more than any other junk-yard excapee.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auto Source Nation has 2 water damaged Volts. They said their inspectors indicated no interior intrusion. Both have almost no miles.

You know there is a Chev video of a Volt in a simulated flood. Both are base 2015s .

I saw and drove the Colorado one.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Salvage means the car was totalled by the insurance co. and junked. So, no longer warranted by the factory any more than any other junk-yard excapee.
And, in most cases, comprehensive damage insurance coverage will not be available.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auto Source said to me that if a dealer lot has "some" flood damaged cars, their insurance companies sweep all cars that have touched the water. IE, no individual determination. Thus when they inspected these two pre-purchase, they had no water to the carpet.

Volts have their batteries and electronics in a sealed system.

How would you evaluate the risk since they have no more than 250 miles?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not an insurance guy but since there's zero warranty, and the ability to get insurance is compromised, I say less than 1/2 of whatever the going rate for used volts is. I've seen people getting deals for 9 to 12K.

They could run for 100K without issue, or take a crap on you a mile from the lot. Either way, even without flood damage 1st gen's depreciated fast. Offer them 5K and if they don't bite it's no big loss.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Not an insurance guy but since there's zero warranty, and the ability to get insurance is compromised, I say less than 1/2 of whatever the going rate for used volts is. I've seen people getting deals for 9 to 12K.

They could run for 100K without issue, or take a crap on you a mile from the lot. Either way, even without flood damage 1st gen's depreciated fast. Offer them 5K and if they don't bite it's no big loss.
Correct.

Same for any vehicle really.The only way I'd ever consider buying salvage is if I 1) Plan to keep it until the wheels fall off and 2) paid no more than half the retail value of a similar vehicle with a green title.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
As Dirty Harry says, "You've got to ask yourself. Do I feel lucky?"

The real question is whether getting into this car and having it absolutely die and drop to zero value would be a huge burden on you, or whether you have the means to roll the dice and possibly make a killing on a great cheap car. If you've got over $1M nest egg and a few hundred K in cash then go for it. But if you are scraping by to make ends meet to get this deal, believe me Murphy will move in with his 3 friends broke, desperate, and stupid making this cheap car a curse rather than a blessing. It's strange how Karma works.

·
4,851 Posts
Please show me anyone, ANYONE, who has taken a brand new Volt with 250 miles off the lot for $9-12k. I don't think (personally) that a Volt as described by the OP is worth less than one of those used Volts with 100k+ miles that go for $9-12k

I realize this one has some water concerns. But if the OP picked up this brand new Volt for $9-12k as a result of the potential for water concerns, that are suggested to be minimal, I would think THAT would be a great deal. $5k?! Sheesh, come on! You guys want to low ball every dealer so low that people are missing out on genuinely good deals on Volts. ;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
The unknown is what's keeping any value in the crapper though -- if your ability to get insurance is compromised due to salvage status, that's a big problem to me. I keep comprehensive on any vehicle with less than 100K miles on it because you never know when some meth'd out uninsured loser will rear end you.

On top of that - despite what a dealer might say, you are always rolling the dice when it comes to water damage, especially when this many electronics are involved. Say he does pay 10K for it because it has 250 miles... and then find out a week later X components are on the fritz due to water issues. There goes a few thousand dollars just to get things up to par, and you still have that salvage title hanging over your head.

The issue really isn't miles at all - 250, or 25,000 it doesn't matter when it comes to water damage. It's already hard enough to move Gen1 volts off dealer lots as it is without salvage status.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought a 2011 Volt GM Testing car that came with a salvage title. I had no problem at all insuring it (State Farm). It was a bit risky but the price was right at the time. I was worried that I had the dreaded transmission bearing failure that was going around but it turned out to be front wheel hub noise (noise only perceptible because the car is so damn quiet. My mechanic said to turn the radio on and come back in another 30K miles since he couldn't really hear it.) Anyway, so far so good with the car but it was a risk.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Please show me anyone, ANYONE, who has taken a brand new Volt with 250 miles off the lot for $9-12k. I don't think (personally) that a Volt as described by the OP is worth less than one of those used Volts with 100k+ miles that go for $9-12k

I realize this one has some water concerns. But if the OP picked up this brand new Volt for $9-12k as a result of the potential for water concerns, that are suggested to be minimal, I would think THAT would be a great deal. $5k?! Sheesh, come on! You guys want to low ball every dealer so low that people are missing out on genuinely good deals on Volts. ;)
Where is anyone aaying you can find a new Volt with 250 miles for $9-12K? I believe you mis-read something somewhere. I see discussion about used vehicles for that price range for sure.

It's a known fact that the real value of a vehicle with a salvage title is worth about half the retail of a similar vehicle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do believe the seller is asking too much. Base models 19,500 and 17,000.

But they say no water ever got to any engine compartment, especially the sealed electric system.

I doubt they have MSO's showing never registered.

All said, I would give 10K to 11K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts