GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I like so many features of my 2017 Volt Premier, one thing I'm beginning to not like is the lack of a wiper for the rear window. When driving in certain rain conditions, beads of water are not carried off fast enough by aerodynamic forces, resulting in very limited rear visibility -- in a car where the rear visibility in dry conditions isn't great.

Does anyone know if GM/Chevy has a stated reason for not including a rear wiper? My previous vehicle, a VW Passat wagon, had a rear wiper that I used fairly frequently.

Would like to hear from any of you with opinions/experience with this including, of course, that the lack of a rear wiper doesn't bother you at all.

Thanks!

Bruce

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've had 3 other large hatchbacks, and never needed a rear wiper. Volt seems no different. (and two of those cars I even drove in Tewksbury!). The more vertical rear windows on wagons seem to get dirtier and need the wiper more (thinking about 4 of my wife's cars), but not an issue for me on Volt.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I covered part of my rear window with rain X so I could compare the results in various conditions. The view is similar under many conditions, but the rain X view is much better in heavy rain when driving slowly or stopped. I would recommend trying it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Although I like so many features of my 2017 Volt Premier, one thing I'm beginning to not like is the lack of a wiper for the rear window. When driving in certain rain conditions, beads of water are not carried off fast enough by aerodynamic forces, resulting in very limited rear visibility -- in a car where the rear visibility in dry conditions isn't great.

Does anyone know if GM/Chevy has a stated reason for not including a rear wiper? My previous vehicle, a VW Passat wagon, had a rear wiper that I used fairly frequently.

Would like to hear from any of you with opinions/experience with this including, of course, that the lack of a rear wiper doesn't bother you at all.

Thanks!

Bruce
Totally agree, especially in northern climates. it was the same on gen 1, no wiper, and it is a bit of a pain especially in winter because instead of using the wiper to clear the rear if it's snowing and you are driving in traffic you have to use the defrost which takes much longer. My pre gen 1 car was a Mazda 6 hatch and the rear wiper is the only thing I still miss about it.

My guess is that the decision not to include it is one or a mix of the following:

Cost
Aesthetic looks
Aerodynamics

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
I spritz the same Turtle Wax ICE on front and rear windows that I apply to the car paint. Water beads and rolls off, snow slides easily.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I covered part of my rear window with rain X so I could compare the results in various conditions. The view is similar under many conditions, but the rain X view is much better in heavy rain when driving slowly or stopped. I would recommend trying it.
=1 on rainX. I used to use the concentrated stuff that took forever to clean off the haze. Now I use the window cleaner which is diluted, and still does the job.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've never needed the rear wiper on my 2011 Volt and won't need it on my 2017. Now on my GMC Yukon XL, yes, I need it definitely, especially in Michigan with the road salt that kicks up, etc. Never a problem on the Volt.

Just use a snow brush to clear all the windows thoroughly before you start driving and don't be so lazy. The rear window defroster works fine when needed. Watch where you are going, and don't try to see all the details of where you have been.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Skip rainX. Use this.
Much better and lasts way longer.

Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 100 ml. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQMYWMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FTJGxbYKJ94BC
I agree with the use of a glass sealant. I haven't tried the one that turboguy suggested, I use Adam's about three times a year and find it to be superior to RainX also.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/waxing-and-glazing/adam-s-4oz-glass-sealant.html
I love RainX. BUT, after checking the glass sealant links here, I'm going to try this. The Adams video is good.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I treat my windows twice a year. It's SUPER SIMPLE. Get the window wet, mix it 3 parts water, 1 part hydro and spray on and rinse off. I have a pump bottle I use as I treat our 14 plow trucks with the stuff but a normal hand operated spray bottle will work also. This can be used on the paint as a wax and will last 3 months or so on paint. They make a car foam that can be used as soap also but I prefer the link over that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I swear by Aquapel. It lasts about 4 months the first time and builds up on your last application every time you reapply it so it lasts longer and longer (depending on conditions and wiper use, 6 months on average, sometimes up to 9). It basically renders your wipers useless at cruising speeds.

I buy it on eBay in packs of 6 or so for $30-35 and apply it myself on both our cars instead of paying Speedy Auto Glass $25 a pop to do it. I wouldn't use anything else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The reason for no rear wiper is the added aerodynamic drag created by the wiper and the increased noise while driving. The rear hatch of the Gen2 Volt is extremely aerodynamic - just apply a window treatment as others have suggested. My favorite wax for both the body and the windows is Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0. Its about $40 for a 64oz. bottle that will last for easily 20 or more complete body and glass waxings. Goes on and off super easily. I use a Porter Cable 7424XP random orbital polisher to apply the sealant and then hand wipe off.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The Volt's Cd is .28, I won't mention what the competition is, but its understandable they didn't add a wiper to make aero worse...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I swear by Aquapel. It lasts about 4 months the first time and builds up on your last application every time you reapply it so it lasts longer and longer (depending on conditions and wiper use, 6 months on average, sometimes up to 9). It basically renders your wipers useless at cruising speeds.

I buy it on eBay in packs of 6 or so for $30-35 and apply it myself on both our cars instead of paying Speedy Auto Glass $25 a pop to do it. I wouldn't use anything else.
Thanks to all who have responded to my original post less than 24 hours ago. Now I have at least 4 different products to research that have been recommended :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I treat my windows twice a year. It's SUPER SIMPLE. Get the window wet, mix it 3 parts water, 1 part hydro and spray on and rinse off. I have a pump bottle I use as I treat our 14 plow trucks with the stuff but a normal hand operated spray bottle will work also. This can be used on the paint as a wax and will last 3 months or so on paint. They make a car foam that can be used as soap also but I prefer the link over that.
Two questions re your reply: 1) what's "hydro"? 2) "I prefer the link..." -- what's meant by "link"?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts