GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since day 1 of my new 2017, I've had a wee bit of glitching (stuttering) to the rear-view video. It's not terrible, and it's still very usable, but the other day, it glitched bad enough to get a very brief "service rear view camera" (or similar text) message on the screen.

Have any of you experienced glitches like this?
Have any of you *never* experienced any rear-camera video glitches?

I'm afraid it's some connector that's not properly fitted - not looking forward to the amount of service it might take to find the problem.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Since day 1 of my new 2017, I've had a wee bit of glitching (stuttering) to the rear-view video. It's not terrible, and it's still very usable, but the other day, it glitched bad enough to get a very brief "service rear view camera" (or similar text) message on the screen.

Have any of you experienced glitches like this?
Have any of you *never* experienced any rear-camera video glitches?

I'm afraid it's some connector that's not properly fitted - not looking forward to the amount of service it might take to find the problem.

Thanks all!
You could ask OnStar if any codes have been set. If you saw a message, the chances are good that some diagnostic information was generated.

KNS

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had not had any similar problem, but I assume you will be taking it in for service? The problem isn't likely to fix itself! Please report back so we can all be aware!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've noticed the momentary jerk or stutter to the video when backing out. Looks almost like it skips a few frames. Doesn't happen too much and hasn't really bothered me but I may mention to the dealer when I bring the car in for service. I had a rear camera completely fail on me in my other car and it was a pricey fix so I would rather have it checked while fully under warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have experienced almost the exact same behaviour on my 2016.

Get the stuttering image randomly and once had it generate a "service rear vision system" message very briefly.

It's not bad enough that I'm gonna make a special trip, but when I go in for my first oil change I will have it looked at.

Keep us posted if you get yours checked out by the dealer.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just got a "service rear vision system" yesterday, I had never noticed before. Will keep an eye on it.

The only slight annoyance with the rear camera / display, is the fact that it takes a good 5 seconds to adjust to ambient lighting, So when I back up out of my garage, the display is basically unreadable. It only brightens after I have finished backing up and start moving forward.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I haven't noticed any glitches or messages, but is it normal for there to be so much delay in turning off, even after I have ceased backing, put the car back in (forward) drive, and am half way down the driveway? With every other car I've ever driven with a rear camera, it shuts off instantly when you shift it into drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't noticed any glitches or messages, but is it normal for there to be so much delay in turning off, even after I have ceased backing, put the car back in (forward) drive, and am half way down the driveway? With every other car I've ever driven with a rear camera, it shuts off instantly when you shift it into drive.
It is normal, I find this helpful when you are backing into a spot and is trying to straighten up the car by pulling forward in subsequent maneuver, at least i can see the parking space behind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OP: Yes I had this and got a warranty replacement of the rear camera harness & sensors. Was backing out of the garage in my 2017 and the "service rear..." message popped -- with no backup guide on screen but rear camera view still on -- plus no parking sensor beeps or rear cross traffic, etc.

Amusingly my local dealer asked if I was "backing out into the sun". Nope, backing out in the morning with my Volt-butt heading West! (And had said unambiguously the rear camera view was visible with no steerable backup guide path, etc.)

And of course, it worked the next time. But my local dealer's Volt tech dutifully hunted and found a failure code, which led to replacement of the camera and harness, per above -- could have been component failure(s), loose or improper installation?

BTW, I've also had the screen blank out twice while driving -- which came back after a few button pushes -- was using Nav at the time. Hasn't happened otherwise. I've read about that elsewhere on the forum. But not the rear camera issue we're talking about here.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I got the same exact thing yesterday. My mom had moved my car to the garage temporarily, so when I backed out it was in the dark but the camera was facing direct sunlight. The screen glitched a couple times like it was lagging, and then it said "Service Rear Vision System" for about 3 seconds. After that it was completely normal. Didn't happen this morning when the car was on the driveway already in the sunlight.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I see the occasional skipped frame on mine but it doesn't bother me enough to make a special trip for it and it might just be "normal..."

·
Registered
870 Posts
I figured the skipping was "normal" as well, since just about every digital camera I've used does it from time to time. The "Service Rear Vision System" message was what got me. Haven't gotten it since, however, and I've backed up a number of times using the camera and it seems to be working completely normal now.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I haven't noticed the frame skipping but I always park nose in rather than backing in so maybe haven't looked at the rear view camera long enough to notice.

Like good2go, my rear view camera stays on after I've shifted to D and started moving forward for about a second then switches back to normal center console display.

Sounds like it's time for the dealer to look at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine does this too. Very slight skip or glitch sometimes.. I think it maybe related to the WDR (wide dynamic range) of the camera adjusting to the bright sunlight while in a darker area like the garage.. It steps it down in steps.. I don't know.. it's not bad yet, if it continues I may bitch about it. Seems to be a problem a few people have. Afraid a replacement will not fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have a 2016 with 5500 miles on it. Camera has worked fine until today. The image is present along with the guidelines but it's all fuzzy much like (for those of us old enough to remember) "snow" in a television image with poor reception. Wiping the lens was of no help.I will call the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Several times I've had the rear camera view stay on the center display after I've shifted into forward.

Last night it stayed on for two to three minutes while driving forward. In stead of displaying the camera image, the screen was black except for the guide lines.

This is on a 2017 with options up to ACC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OP: Yes I had this and got a warranty replacement of the rear camera harness & sensors. Was backing out of the garage in my 2017 and the "service rear..." message popped -- with no backup guide on screen but rear camera view still on -- plus no parking sensor beeps or rear cross traffic, etc.

Amusingly my local dealer asked if I was "backing out into the sun". Nope, backing out in the morning with my Volt-butt heading West! (And had said unambiguously the rear camera view was visible with no steerable backup guide path, etc.)

And of course, it worked the next time. But my local dealer's Volt tech dutifully hunted and found a failure code, which led to replacement of the camera and harness, per above -- could have been component failure(s), loose or improper installation?

BTW, I've also had the screen blank out twice while driving -- which came back after a few button pushes -- was using Nav at the time. Hasn't happened otherwise. I've read about that elsewhere on the forum. But not the rear camera issue we're talking about here.
UPDATE: I jumped my wife's SUV from my Gen2, and surprise! Next restart I had the same rear camera symptom -- shut down and restarted, no rear camera problem. As I had jumped her car last year and then had the rear camera glide path disappear, per my original post, it seems possible this was a 12V system related glitch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts