GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked up to my Volt this afternoon after sitting in the sun, and the top of my rear spoiler is all wavy! There's no indication that it was tampered with. No scuffing, dents from the back or any marks whatsoever. Just all wavy and it looks like the metal bubbling up. Has anyone seen this before?!

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Wow, that's a new one, brandonee!

I wonder if it will straighten out as it cools down? If not, I'd have it replaced. My guess is the heat allowed the material to both expand and perhaps soften causing the connection points that are underneath to telegraph to the outside surface.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll let you know tomorrow morning. I really hope so. Couldn't see anything that would show this type of warping. Especially since the edge of the spoiler has no defects or the upper edge. It's just wavy in the middle.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Concrete roads will buckle as well if they heat beyond their expansion joint tolerance. So will aluminum siding, especially if it's attached tightly via a nail in hole rather than simply a "snug" nail in a slot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Concentrated sunshine

Your situation has all the earmarks of a condition where sunshine is reflected/concentrated as through a magnifing glass or reflector trim/building moulding. There are a number of these situations reported around the country where inadvertent concentrated sunshine has caused major heat damage to items with the cause completely overlooked. I have personally had several over the years. Most recent was a center hubcap plastic trim melted by the reflected sun off of the chrome trim ring around the wheel. Have a friend that showed me a large light with a plastic lense that had the lense melted in an arc configuration caused as the sun moved across it at just the right position to cause the melting. I know it sounds phoney, but I have seen it and also had others that have had it happen. In fact I believe it happened recently from shiny trim or glass on a building which damaged several cars before they figured out what was happening and the building has to be modified to prevent such damage.... :)

Yes, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen..... :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Your situation has all the earmarks of a condition where sunshine is reflected/concentrated as through a magnifing glass or reflector trim/building moulding. There are a number of these situations reported around the country where inadvertent concentrated sunshine has caused major heat damage to items with the cause completely overlooked. I have personally had several over the years. Most recent was a center hubcap plastic trim melted by the reflected sun off of the chrome trim ring around the wheel. Have a friend that showed me a large light with a plastic lense that had the lense melted in an arc configuration caused as the sun moved across it at just the right position to cause the melting. I know it sounds phoney, but I have seen it and also had others that have had it happen. In fact I believe it happened recently from shiny trim or glass on a building which damaged several cars before they figured out what was happening and the building has to be modified to prevent such damage.... :)

Yes, it doesn't happen often, but it does happen..... :)
Exactly. This has been well reported and there has been litigation on the subject. After you get it replaced it would be a good idea to not park in that spot.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
WOW, we own TWO Volt's and neither display this defect. Of course our 2012 has only been exposed to TWO summers here in St Louis and the hotest it has ever seen was 110 degrees. It is parked outside all day while I'm at work.

Sounds like a product defect to me and covered by the warranty.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Your situation has all the earmarks of a condition where sunshine is reflected/concentrated as through a magnifing glass or reflector trim/building moulding.
Google "concentrated sunlight car damage".

Melted Jaguar: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Street-skyscraper-melts-businessmans-car.html

A SoCal woman says the energy efficient window installed in a neighbor’s condominium is melting the plastic components on cars parked in her carport.

Heather Patron of Studio City was dealing with a mystery regarding her Toyota Prius.
“The side view mirrors were melting,” says Patron. “Anything that was plastic on the car was melting.”
Toyota told Patron nothing was wrong with the car. After having the mirrors replaced, she noticed the mirrors on the car parked next to hers were also melting.

[video]http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video?autoStart=false&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6671156[/video]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inspected further this morning and it's "wavy" from the left all the way to the right side. No visible marks or damage... Volt advisor is awesome and set me up with my local dealer to inspect the car for me this afternoon. I'll let you know what happens!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: The dealer inspected it with technicians and the service manager. They determined it was warping and will be replacing it under warranty! I didn't realize it, but our spoilers are actually plastic, if you open your hatch and look at the hole on the far edge, you'll see the plastic material. I'm assuming with the hot temperature yesterday it caused the plastic to warp. I must say, having a Volt has been the best service experience I've ever had with a vehicle so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I walked up to my Volt this afternoon after sitting in the sun, and the top of my rear spoiler is all wavy! There's no indication that it was tampered with. No scuffing, dents from the back or any marks whatsoever. Just all wavy and it looks like the metal bubbling up. Has anyone seen this before?!
Yes. My 2013 Toyota Prius has the same problem. First it was the side view mirror, and now the spoiler and back hatch look just like your pictures. Toyota says it's concentrated reflected light from a neighbors windows. And I do see/feel very hot spots of reflection from the building next door. Google melted cars and you'll get some hits.

Toyota replaced the side view mirror for free, but I don't know if they'll do that for the hatchback and spoiler. But I won't put up with a car that melts in the sun in San Diego in February.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Strange. Its not even summer yet here in California. The warping is near the middle brake lights that are in the spoiler. I wonder whether these bulbs might be overheating.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Strange. Its not even summer yet here in California. The warping is near the middle brake lights that are in the spoiler. I wonder whether these bulbs might be overheating.
The rear uses LED's not bulbs AFAIK.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found the culprit... it's definitely being caused by sunlight glare heating up the plastic and causing it to warp. I just shot a quick video to show the glare and warping it's caused literally within minutes of the light hitting the plastic.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Found the culprit... it's definitely being caused by sunlight glare heating up the plastic and causing it to warp. I just shot a quick video to show the glare and warping it's caused literally within minutes of the light hitting the plastic.

Does the warping go away when the car is moved out of the zone of the death ray, brandonee?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It keeps getting worse :-( This just sucks... I've never had this type of issue with a vehicle before. I'm not sure what my options are at this point since it's a leased vehicle. These photos are from today:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts