GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Occasionally people want to remove the rear head restraints. This is a little tricky because there are two buttons that need to pressed at the same time while pushing/pulling the head restraint up. The second button is well camouflaged. I found that a small flashlight helped me see it better.

I pulled up the head restraint as far as it would go, then pressed both buttons while using the knuckles on my #2 button hand to nudge the head restraint up just a bit (you'll feel it slide past a restraining notch). Then it slides freely the rest of the way. Note I curled my index finger in order to engage the very slim #2 button with my finger tip. Pressing any other way got me nowhere.

Easy, once you know how. :)

Rear head restraint removal.jpg Rear-Head-Restraint-Button-1.jpg Rear-Head-Restraint-Button-2.jpg Rear-Head-Restraint-Button-2-Press.jpg

Fingers too fat? Some covered the end of a screwdriver with masking tape (to prevent marring/damage) and used it to press button 2. I suppose using a cloth instead of masking tape would work too.

Related posts:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?37850-2013-removing-rear-headrests
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?9097-Rear-Seat-Headrest-Removable

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very helpful! Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very helpful! Thanks!
Thanks, I used my wife as a test subject, Voltoronto. First I had her try what she thought would work. I even told her there was a second button. She could not find it nor remove the headrest. Then I removed it under a second and she looked to see if there was a button my finger knuckle was pressing :). Then I showed her the above and she easily removed the head rest now that she knew "the trick".

Now you too can amaze your spouse and friends, haha.

·
Registered
201 Posts
LOL! I had concluded they were not removable! Thanks! I'm going to try this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Steve, thanks for the pics. Still couldn't find that slot but today I had the hatch raised and with the sun shing in, voila!

11 months of trying to remove the headrests as the 2013 OM is incorrect.

Thanks again, made my day.

John

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve, thanks for the pics. Still couldn't find that slot but today I had the hatch raised and with the sun shining in, voila!

John
Hence my suggestion of a flashlight! It's really hard to see it's so well fitted. Like one of those rooms with an "invisible" door in a wall, unless you know it's there, you'd never see it. I'm glad you found it, John!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, I've got to go do this right away. I was ready to take the rear seat back apart. I hate it when I have to lay the rear seats down and the headrests dig into my back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Steverino,

Many thanks for this post. Couldn't figure it out on my own, found your post, two seconds to remove without even needing to seen the stealth second button.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just saw this. I spent 15 minutes or so before our camping trip trying to get them off to gain a bit of extra room for "stuff". I gave up and worked around them, remembering how easy they were to remove in the Prius and wondering why GM had made it so difficult. Once again ... the Volt Forum proves it worth as members take their own time to explain and show how to do things to help others. Thanks for the post and the pics!

Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
FYI the pictures for this helpful post are not loading in the mobile version... :(

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
166 Posts
Spent a lot of time grunting and yanking, then I went to the forum and searched this- easy as pie. Thanks, Steverino!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Spent a lot of time grunting and yanking, then I went to the forum and searched this- easy as pie. Thanks, Steverino!
Same! Was packing the car this morning to go camping this weekend and went nuts trying to figure out how to do this. Now me and my wife will have a few extra inches of legroom!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Note that in the Gen 2s, it's a small hole on the inside of the right post. A small philips head jewlers screwdriver fits perfectly, doesnt mar anything, and provides enough length that with one hand you can press the button on the left post while pressing the end of the screwdriver to free the right post. The other hand is then free to lift the head restraint up and out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts