GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to carry any item that will need to stick out the back of the hatch, there is no place on the hatch itself to tie the hatch down. A loop or a place through which one could pass a rope would be most convenient. A rope can go through the trunk latch on the car itself, but the only way to tie the hatch down is to wrap a rope around both outer edges of the hatch where the rear glass meets the lower part of the hatch. That is an expensive accident ready to happen.

In the meantime, does anyone have a creative solution?

·
Registered
412 Posts
My MY 2012 has D rings

The car has four little rings in the hatch area that you could use. I have mine holding down the junkyard Catera cargo net (which fits perfectly btw).

The hatch itself is another matter and I'm not sure driving with the hatch open in any way would be a recommended use of the car. It has a pretty big piece of glass and may not be too happy with being stressed unevenly. I'm sure the cost of a rental van or pickup would be a walk in the park compared to replacing that glass.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I recall reading somewhere not to travel with the hatch open in case the ICE starts with the accompanying risk of exhaust entering the vehicle.

KNS

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've always used a bungee cord inserted into the hatch/trunk lock mechanism in previous cars. Seems to work fine on the Volt as well. Maybe I read the post incorrectly?

photo.JPG

Update: Ah, now re-reading the question, what to do with the other end... I guess I would just hook it back on the bungee itself.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You can use your fingers to manually close the latch mechanism on the hatch door, and that way you'll have a hole through which you can thread a rope/twine of attach a hook to hold the hatch down. (The photo in the previous post shows this.) However, try to remember to re-open this latch (using the button on the underside of the hatch door) before you try to close the hatch after unloading your cargo. If you try to close the hatch with the latch still in the closed position, it'll just slam against the metal ring on the car-side and might damage itself.

On the car side, use the metal ring that the latch attaches to when the hatch is closed. It's partially obscured by a plastic cover piece, but this cover is hinged and you can push it down and out of the way to loop something through the ring.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I use one of those small caribener things to latch into the top mechanism and either a bungee or rope to attach to
that. works great. I thinks I read a warning about birds flying in hitting the driver in the head rendering him unconscious
and careening into bridge abutments so you better not do it.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I picked up a metal ring at a hardware store like at the link below. You can push this into the latch on the liftgate which will snap shut on it. Use this as your tie-off point. Release it by pressing the button. Then you can quickly connect it and disconnect it repeatedly for loading and unloading items without re-tying anything. It also makes it more likely you will leave the latch in the open position before trying to fully close the liftgate. A good thing to use as the tie-down is a flat nylon strap with an adjustable buckle. This is less bouncy than a bungee cord.

Be sure nothing is touching the rear glass unless it is well padded. The defroster heater elements on the glass can be easily damaged.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_656958-40391-AC1077A_0__

1 - 10 of 10 Posts