GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Volt. Has anyone else out there noticed that it's sometimes very tricky to get the rear hatch to open? Sometimes I press the button and it releases instantly. Sometimes you have to press it two or three times. Now I am in the habit of pressing & holding the button down until it releases. Sometimes it releases right away. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to release. There does not seem to be any pattern for how long a button press is required. This is the definition of BAD interface design. The release button should not be like a chinese puzzle box to open.

I suspect that it's trying to communicate with your keyfob... But the randomness of the time required to open is pretty annoying at times. (Like when it poring rain on your head.)

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have you tried pressing Unlock on your fob first? On my 2011 this is required, but it always works right away. That would rule out an intermittent hatch switch if it always pops first time when you do that.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
No issues with my 2011. Works perfect every time.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
When I use the rear hatch with the keyless entry, it takes about 1 sec max to open (I figure it must be communicating with the fob). I have never given it a second thought. I've never had keyless before, so all this is groundbreaking for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
At times it does not want to open, I am still trying to determine exactly the cause, is it my hand position, the fob position/distance from car or something else.

2012 Volt here

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello. We currently have a 2011 volt and since it doesn't have keyless, you have to manually unlock before you can get in. I was just at the dealer today looking at the 2012's and the salesman told me the sensor for the hatch is in the back left of the car. I would check and see if you stay to the left, if that helps at times.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I had this happen,

When the car is unlocked, it opens as soon as you press the button
When the car is locked, it needs to handshake with the FOB first ... or so was my experience

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
First time I opened the back of my Volt I thought I was having a problem then I noticed I was pushing on the back up camera.

·
8,680 Posts
As others have said, my experience with the hatch has been very consistant. If the car is unlocked, it opens immediately. If the car is locked, it takes a second or two of holding the button, and then unlocks. (The time it takes is consistent - I just never attempted to count exactly how long it is. It is frustratingly long.)

If you're coming to a locked car, and planning to drive away right after, you could just hit the rear door button on the side you're on first. That'll unlock all four doors, and the hatch will then open immediately. (the extra time to hit the rear door is probably about the same as the time to hold the hatch, though.)

·
Registered
196 Posts
My experience exactly and consistently.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have had this issue too. I will have to pay more attention whether my car is locked or not in the future.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Perhaps program the doors so all open? That's how I have my 2011 set. Unlock opens all 5.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've noticed it takes a second, too. And initially, it usually took me a couple tries to get it. But after a while I just got used to it. I've given my friends the FOB to get something out of the trunk before, though. And they could NOT figure it out. They gave up and had me do it. They even accidentally opened the charge port door trying to figure it out. And I even explained how to do it. I came out and it worked flawlessly. They were pretty annoyed at how easily it worked for me.

So it's pretty clear that it could be a little easier to use when using the keyless entry. But I think it's a quirk that you can get used to.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After reading the comments from everyone... I have come to the conclusion that we have two choices.

1. Press the unlock button on the key fob button and the hatch open button responds instantly.

2. Don't press the unlock button on the key fob button and wait the several seconds for the car to validate the presence of the key fob before it allows the door to open.

This seems reasonable compromize... If I want the convenience of NOT having to fish the key fob out of my pocket. Put my reading glasses on. Locate the unlock button on the key fob. Press the unlock button... Then press the hatch open button... I will simply wait the 2-3 seconds for the hatch to open.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt. Has anyone else out there noticed that it's sometimes very tricky to get the rear hatch to open? Sometimes I press the button and it releases instantly. Sometimes you have to press it two or three times. Now I am in the habit of pressing & holding the button down until it releases. Sometimes it releases right away. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to release. There does not seem to be any pattern for how long a button press is required. This is the definition of BAD interface design. The release button should not be like a chinese puzzle box to open.

I suspect that it's trying to communicate with your keyfob... But the randomness of the time required to open is pretty annoying at times. (Like when it poring rain on your head.)
On a 2012 with keyless access, I suggest you first replace the FOB/remote batteries (as per owners manual procedure) THEN determine if the condition persists.
There will always be a slight delay as the security system "challenges" of a learned FOB present before releasing the hatch, but you shouldnt have to hit the button multiple times.
WOT

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a 2012 with keyless access, I suggest you first replace the FOB/remote batteries (as per owners manual procedure) THEN determine if the condition persists.
There will always be a slight delay as the security system "challenges" of a learned FOB present before releasing the hatch, but you shouldnt have to hit the button multiple times.
WOT
Yup. I have a fresh battery. Both of my FOB's do it. It's not a battery issue. It's just how it goes...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Yup. I have a fresh battery. Both of my FOB's do it. It's not a battery issue. It's just how it goes...
OK with that potential issue aside, you certainly could have somethign wrong with the switch itself but I've not seen or heard of one fail to date.
But keep in mind the release behavior WILL be slightly different depending on specific conditions.

If the doors have NOT been electrically/remotely locked (car is unsecured) then the input from the switch will result in a near immediate command from the Body Control Module (BCM) issued to the liftgate relay and actuator and the release is almost immediate. BUT if the doors have been locked (and especially the vehicle has been sitting long enough to go down to a "low power" state ~5-10 min) THEN it takes abit longer (less than 2 sec) to release the hatch. This is because the switch input must first wake up the BCM, then it commands the Keyless Entry Module to issue the "security challenge" to see if a properly coded FOB is within 1m (~3ft) of the car. Assuming there is, it THEN "tells" the BCM to release the hatch. This takes just a bit longer.

Under those conditions I suggest you just press and HOLD the button until the hatch releases (again usually <2sec) instead of repeatedly pressing it (but that ultimately works too)
HTH
WOT

·
Registered
433 Posts
If the doors have NOT been electrically/remotely locked (car is unsecured) then the input from the switch will result in a near immediate command from the Body Control Module (BCM) issued to the liftgate relay and actuator and the release is almost immediate. BUT if the doors have been locked (and especially the vehicle has been sitting long enough to go down to a "low power" state ~5-10 min) THEN it takes abit longer (less than 2 sec) to release the hatch. This is because the switch input must first wake up the BCM, then it commands the Keyless Entry Module to issue the "security challenge" to see if a properly coded FOB is within 1m (~3ft) of the car. Assuming there is, it THEN "tells" the BCM to release the hatch. This takes just a bit longer.

Under those conditions I suggest you just press and HOLD the button until the hatch releases (again usually <2sec) instead of repeatedly pressing it (but that ultimately works too)
HTH
WOT
I've read through this thread and concur that the rear hatch button can take a couple/several seconds before releasing the hatch lock. And I understand WOT's above explanation. But....one aspect STILL doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't the exact same challenge and wakeup and all that ALSO happen when using the passive entry on any of the 4 human doors?? If find unlocking any of the 4 human doors is always near instant whereas activating the rear hatch (when car in a locked state) inevitably takes a number of seconds. Why is the rear hatch mechanism always substantially slower (to the point of verging on annoying) than other doors??

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I've read through this thread and concur that the rear hatch button can take a couple/several seconds before releasing the hatch lock. And I understand WOT's above explanation. But....one aspect STILL doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't the exact same challenge and wakeup and all that ALSO happen when using the passive entry on any of the 4 human doors?? If find unlocking any of the 4 human doors is always near instant whereas activating the rear hatch (when car in a locked state) inevitably takes a number of seconds. Why is the rear hatch mechanism always substantially slower (to the point of verging on annoying) than other doors??
The difference is explained by the differences in the signal path between the 2 inputs. The rear hatch button is hardwired to the BCM (as it was in 2011) but the door switches are wired directly to the all-new (for 2012) keyless entry module. So after pressing the hatch release button and waking up the BCM it must then communicate via the CAN bus to request the keyless entry module to issue the FOB challenge wirelessly then (assuming successful) sends a signal BACK to th BCM indicating success (or failure) in that security challenge so the BCM can then have security authorization to operate the hatch release relay .

So SWITCH INPUT>BCM WAKEUP>KEM>CHALLENGE>FOB KEM>BCM>RELAY However since the door handle buttons are hardwired to the keyless entry module (an artifact of "adding" passive entry to an existing car) it simply uses fewer steps to accomplish unlocking the doors with almost zero "wake-up" delay as this takes place simultaneous to the FOB challenge. SWITCH INPUT>KEM>FOB CHALLENGE>BCM>UNLOCK RELAY
In the end, that's just the way it works!
WOT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts