GM Volt Forum banner

Rear-Ended 2012 Volt, can it be repaired?

11035 38
I was rear-ended by some idiot while stopped at a Yield sign. My Volt sacrificed itself to keep me from getting injured or killed, which I really appreciate. But now my insurance company is wondering whether the car should be replaced or scrapped, and I was wondering what folks here think.

It's a 2012 model with about 24000 miles on it, probably has a bluebook value around $16k.

My feeling is that the rear end is where most of the batteries are, and batteries are hella expensive, so the repair cost will probably be too high. But currently the vehicle is at a dealer awaiting a teardown assessment of the damage.

Any opinions here about how repairable Volts are? I thought I heard that they tend to be quite fragile in a collision.

P.S. I am delighted to be alive and unharmed. Thank you, GM.

Motor vehicle Crash Vehicle Car Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Crash
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
3,764 Posts
I just got my 2014 back yesterday. I got rear-ended while stopped waiting for a traffic opening to get on the parkway. I got hit pretty hard by a jeep most damage above the bumper, but had substantially less damage than your pictures. Repair cost was about $7k. My SWAG is you're looking at a total from a financial viewpoint. I don't think the cars are particularly fragile. You got hit VERY hard.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
I was rear-ended by some idiot while stopped at a Yield sign. My Volt sacrificed itself to keep me from getting injured or killed, which I really appreciate. But now my insurance company is wondering whether the car should be replaced or scrapped, and I was wondering what folks here think.

It's a 2012 model with about 24000 miles on it, probably has a bluebook value around $16k.

My feeling is that the rear end is where most of the batteries are, and batteries are hella expensive, so the repair cost will probably be too high. But currently the vehicle is at a dealer awaiting a teardown assessment of the damage.

Any opinions here about how repairable Volts are? I thought I heard that they tend to be quite fragile in a collision.

P.S. I am delighted to be alive and unharmed. Thank you, GM.

View attachment 87666 View attachment 87674
Wow, glad you're OK. That has to be one of the most severely damaged Volts I've ever seen. I'll be shocked if there is no frame damage. I'd guess it's a total, especially if the airbags went off.

2,530 Posts
At first glance that looks totaled, but sometimes it's surprising what they can fix. Right rear fender is crumpled but looks like left is okay?

Did any of the glass break? Looks like the trunk just opened but the rear glass is okay.

What kind of vehicle hit you?

· Registered
304 Posts
That looks pretty bad, I'd be surprised if it wasn't totaled. I also doubt you'll have much say in the matter, they'll leave it up to the adjuster that inspects the wreck.

I'm glad you're okay, that's the important thing. But don't immediately sign off on any insurance agreement, sometimes injuries from accidents take some time to make themselves known.

· Registered
74 Posts
I believe most insurance company's use a 70% model. If you car is worth $10,000 and repairs are $7000...they total.

From the looks...that is going to be very expensive to repair. You took a hard hit, be sure and get checked out by a doctor(s)...have MRI done on your spine especially in the neck area. Don't wait...don't take chances. The sooner the better...EVEN if you feel fine right now.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Glad you are OK. The car did it's job!

Were your brake lights on?

· Registered
1,544 Posts
I think the battery would be fine, which actually would count against it being repaired as it'll be worth far more in parts than the starting point for a repair job.

That'll have serious floor pan repairs needed, which will weaken the car were the same thing to happen twice. If they were proposing to repair, I'd ask some very probing questions about what that would entail in regards floor pan work.

I had likewise in another car, admittedly a weaker car and less of an impact, and that had bent the whole chassis and put a kink right across the width of the B-pillar area.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
I believe most insurance company's use a 70% model. If you car is worth $10,000 and repairs are $7000...they total.

From the looks...that is going to be very expensive to repair. You took a hard hit, be sure and get checked out by a doctor(s)...have MRI done on your spine especially in the neck area. Don't wait...don't take chances. The sooner the better...EVEN if you feel fine right now.
Ditto the above recommendations...

· Registered
3,913 Posts
Electronic or Alcohol imparment of the driver?

· Registered
1,224 Posts
It will really depend on how far the damage traveled into the car. They can do a lot to fix a car but the car's value will definitely take a hit on resale. You need to be aware of that as an owner, especially if you want to sell it right away after fixing it. If they decide to fix, let them know your intention is to sell the car as you have lost confidence in its safety and that you want to be compensated for the diminished value. 15% is minimum. Looks like an easy $6k to $10k in damage and certainly more if the Voltec parts are involved.

Another factor the insurance company will use is the potential residual value of the car when determining if it is a write off. They have formulas and also have some discretion over and above.

Be cordial but firm when dealing with insurance companies, especially when it is the other person at fault.

· Registered
276 Posts

· Registered
933 Posts
Glad you are okay. I say totaled...I am no professional, but it looks like a lot of manual labor on parts that cannot just be swapped out.
I agree that it will be totaled -- my wife's Buick Rendezvous was only 10 months old with about 7k miles, back end got crunched pretty good as she sat at a red light (as shown below), was totaled when we thought sure it would be fixed since it was almost new.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.