GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Turns out to be condensate on the outside of the rear window. For others new to owning a low-slopping rear window, this is a new issue to deal with. A squeegee may be useful. From reading about window treatments (e.g., Rain-X, Aquapel), they are only effective if a force can push the condensate around. If you're just sitting idle or backup up slowly, the treatments won't help and your rear window will unusable until you evaporate the condensate off or use a squeegee.

Original post:

Does anyone know if the rear window defogger actually auto-runs during remote start? Searching through the 2017 1st print manual (got it from my.chevrolet.com, couldn't find it otherwise), there are two statements that confuse me:

1. "defogger only works when the vehicle is ON/RUN", pg 160.
2. "the rear window defogger turns on if it is cold outside", pg 161

So I take it, when we remote start, that counts as an "ON/RUN" in which case, the defogger should run "if it is cold outside", correct? The manual also indicates rear defogger is supposed to run "if it's cold enough" during remote start (pgs 8, 31, 36, and 37)

I've ran remote start the last few days when it finally hit low 50F temps and came outside to find the windshield defogger had turned on and the windshield was clear, but the rear window was still fogged up and the rear defog button was not lit like I left it the night before. Once I started the car from remote-start and manually turned on rear window defogger, the rear defogged within 2 minutes. I've made triple sure that when I shutoff the Volt, I set the climate controls to how I want them, which include the front and fear defoggers. I have also tried remote starting from both my keyfob and the OnStar Remote Link app with no difference.

Has anyone else gotten the rear defogger to run during remote start? Does anyone know the cold threshold to trigger rear window auto-defog?

I know the backup camera + mirrors is superior to the rear window, but it's still a force of habbit for me to look out the rear when backing up. Slowly training myself to use the mirrors and backup camera more, however.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It's not a defogger, it's a de-icer/de-froster. I'm thinking 'cold enough' is below 32F.

Sometimes boilerplate in the owner's manual doesn't apply to the car it came with.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Do you have this fog on the inside or outside of the rear glass? That feature is primarily intended for interior moisture. I keep a squeegee in my trunk to clear exterior moisture. Just takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I concur with Loboc. I think the "cold enough" temperature is closer to 32 degrees F.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does anyone know if heated seats/steering wheel will turn on with remote start? If so, does the outside temp need to be much colder than the cabin temp for this to activate, or does this need to be switched on prior to shutting down the vehicle the night before?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Does anyone know if heated seats/steering wheel will turn on with remote start? If so, does the outside temp need to be much colder than the cabin temp for this to activate, or does this need to be switched on prior to shutting down the vehicle the night before?
The heated seats will come on if you set them up in the config menu. The outside air temp must be below about 40F. The heated steering wheel does NOT come on, but it warms up quickly when you switch it on.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The heated seats will come on if you set them up in the config menu. The outside air temp must be below about 40F. The heated steering wheel does NOT come on, but it warms up quickly when you switch it on.
Even in Texas, that heated steering wheel is appreciated. It only takes a couple seconds to go from fingers-frozen-to-the-wheel to nice and toasty. I wish it was cooled as well though. fingers-seared-to-the-wheel is not nice either.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have this fog on the inside or outside of the rear glass? That feature is primarily intended for interior moisture. I keep a squeegee in my trunk to clear exterior moisture. Just takes a few seconds.
Will definitely confirm this. Hopefully it gets cool again next week (hitting 80's degF this week now). Thanks for the idea!

Even in Texas, that heated steering wheel is appreciated. It only takes a couple seconds to go from fingers-frozen-to-the-wheel to nice and toasty. I wish it was cooled as well though. fingers-seared-to-the-wheel is not nice either.
I second the wheel cooler, especially for when you get the bad parking spot and forget to put up your sun shade.

Thank you TSquare, Loboc! Shame we can't set the threshold for the rear de-icer/de-froster.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barry, you nailed it. Finally got some cold air overnight and the condensate was on the outside of the rear window. Time to shop for a large squeegee to cover the entire rear window...thank you for the tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts