GM Volt Forum banner

Rear camera functionality question

13K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  misslexi 
#1 ·
I asked at my unplugged test drive how to enable the rear view camera. I was told by the right seater it activates when the car is in reverse. "No way to activate it while in drive?" "No" was the answer. That's not a rear view camera, that's a backup camera...

If this is true, is there a reason we can't use the rear view camera as an additional rear view "mirror"? I didn't put the car in reverse to check it out (as has been mentioned, the San Diego unplugged event was a bit time constrained by the crowd). Is it pointed too far down, and of no use driving forward?

If it *would* be usable, how amenable is GM going to be to suggestions from it's first 10,000 beta users^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^hcustomers?

#2 · (Edited)
That's how the rear-view camera on my Enclave works as well...it only comes on when backing up. It also has back up sensors that beep and put exclamation marks over objects that are in you path (An option you can turn on/off). As you get closer to an object in your path, the exclamation marks get bigger, then turn red. This set up works very good for me, as I back the vehicle into the garage and when the exclamation marks turn red, I know I'm in far enough.

That said, the rear view camera does have a "fish eye" effect so you can see a wide field of view behind you. Since the image is distorted, perhaps that's why there isn't an option to leave it on during driving. In my case, it would be a simple software change to make that feature a reality, as a S/W patch could be uploaded into the GPS radio by the dealer (when backing up, the rear view camera is viewed via the radio touch pad screen).

#6 ·
When I did my test drive in LA, I switched into reverse. The backup camera turned on and showed the path of rear travel, just as the Infiniti system I saw on a G37. The red lines changed direction as I turned the steering wheel. Otherwise it's similar to our Enclave's system, as described elsewhere in this thread. It's a useful safety feature in any vehicle and I highly recommend it.

#7 ·
I think it would be better if you also have a backup mirror installed on your vehicle. In that way, you would be able to really check it twice and it would be so much better if you have a good one, instead of depending on one thing.
Ummm, well, there are 3 rear view mirrors in a Volt (2 side, one center windshield) just like any other car. Are you talking about one of those rear mounted convex mirror thingies? If so, ummm no. That'd be kinda bad for drag.

My interest in being able to use the rear camera while in drive is so I can see just how close that tail-gater is.

#8 ·
Generally, state laws prohibit the use of a video screen where a driver can watch it....that's why all DVD installs are for the rear seat viewers, and the driver and front pass are not able to watch. My buick enclave's rear camera turns on when in reverse, and turns off when in drive. I would expect the volts to do the same.

#11 ·
It is typical in motorhomes to have a "backup camera" that comes on automatically when in reverse. On most of these you can merely push a button to turn it on while going forward. They also usually have a microphone as well (so the spouse can yell STOP at just the right time. ;)

#12 ·
We own a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country mini-van and love it. The back up camera is standard with our trim package and I hate it. Our Volts have plenty of mirrors. My main complaint is when backing up at night that camera lights up the whole interior. We have to hold our hand over it to regain night vision. Obviously I did not order that option on our Volt. I do like that camera on our van when backing up to hitch trailer. That is another thing not for a Volt.

#21 · (Edited)
Guidelines

I haven't seen any description of what the spacing is on the rear view camera guildlines are, have I just missed it?

In any case, I just measured what it appears to be for me. I didn't try hard for accuracy, so YMMV. For the horizontal guidelines (distance from bumper) there are 2 main zones. "Far away" is denoted by amber, and the "really close" zone has red vertical lines and a red tick to denote where it starts.

The end of the red line is nearly EXACTLY at the edge of the bumper.

The red ticks are about 9" from the bumper.

Amber lines are around 18", 34", 44", and 54" from the bumper (IIRC, I didn't write them down as I was measuring).

First night on the road I had to back in to the parking spot to hook up the EVSE. Stopped when the curb just hit the red ticks, and was very pleased with how that turned out.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet volt

Pulled through a parking spot at the store yesterday and left the stall marking just short of the end of the red vertical, getting a near perfect pull through.

Nice!

Now if we just had a way to persistently turn the d*mn UFRPA off! Please? Make it a config option or something. Yes, I *do* want to turn it on, there will definitely be times I want that. But the majority of the time? I'm parked in a stall or garage or something, so there's a wall in front of me. SHUT THE H*LL UP!

It's really annoying...

Attachments

#22 ·
<snip> Now if we just had a way to persistently turn the d*mn UFRPA off! Please? Make it a config option or something. Yes, I *do* want to turn it on, there will definitely be times I want that. But the majority of the time? I'm parked in a stall or garage or something, so there's a wall in front of me. SHUT THE H*LL UP! It's really annoying...
Thanks for the tips. I was on the border about getting it but am glad I did. I only got to see/use it briefly at the test drive.

I'm assuming the UFRPA is the front bumper sensors....oh crap you meant that is not a persistent toggle. That will be annoying!

#26 ·
There must some exclusions to this. I've seen those monster motorhomes on the road with no rear windows, the sole rear view is via camera.

State driving laws aside for a moment, and I believe those should be obeyed, I don't see any safety difference between a 6x9 rear view mirror and a 6x9 TV-style monitor being overwatched to the exclusion of the front view.

The ability of the latter to be recorded for LE purposes seems priceless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.