GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2013 Volt. Love it so far. Great engineering, etc. But ergonomics? Not so much. Weird placement of controls and obscured vision.

There is a safety-related question I thought I'd throw out for comment. No doubt frowned on, or even forbidden by DoT, I'd love to glance at that rear camera to ensure my right flank is clear when I change lanes to the right when in traffic.

I do like the shape of the mirrors, but it's still not enough comfort for me. The A, B and C pillars, and headrests of this car create large blind spots. I know a lot of modern cars are shaped this way, but having driven slightly more boxy shapes in the past, I find this quite disconcerting.

Can someone suggest a camera hack, perhaps? (And no, I don't want to stick a GoPro camera back there nor get a stick-on mirror either!)

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I don't think the rear camera we have is suitable for that purpose. It has a very short focal length lens, optimized for close in viewing. Anything approaching from a distance at any speed would be on top of you before you knew it. It's a good idea though, maybe with another camera mounted in the antenna base with a narrower field of vision. These kinds of cameras are starting to show up in racing cars ( Audi LeMans cars, for one) and some concept cars.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I do like the shape of the mirrors, but it's still not enough comfort for me. The A, B and C pillars, and headrests of this car create large blind spots. I know a lot of modern cars are shaped this way, but having driven slightly more boxy shapes in the past, I find this quite disconcerting.
Invest few bucks on Autobahn blind spot mirror and a pair of aspheric outside mirrors. And a convex wide angle rear view mirror. I have eliminated rear blind spots completely.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No need to add anything if your objective is to eliminate the blind spots.

The old method of adjusting the outside mirrors to where you can see the back corner of your car results in blind spots. The following link gives a more modern method for adjusting the outside mirrors and eliminates the blind spots and, as a bonus, headlight glare. It does take a while to get used to it, but it does work. Most people can adapt to it. No one has ever run into themselves.

http://www.driversedguru.com/drivin...he-bge-mirror-setting-eliminates-blind-spots/

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow, it never occurred to me to do otherwise.. Why would you adjust the mirror to look at your car. You KNOW your car is there. I always set it to look just to the outside of my car (essentially that video technique). The only time I want to look at the side of the car is when backing (my Avalanche had a park assist mirror setting that did that for you).

·
Registered
707 Posts

The old method of adjusting the outside mirrors to where you can see the back corner of your car results in blind spots. The following link gives a modern method for adjusting the outside mirrors and eliminates the blind spots and, as a bonus, headlight glare. It does take a while to get used to it, but it does work. Most people can adapt to it.

http://www.driversedguru.com/drivin...he-bge-mirror-setting-eliminates-blind-spots/
I'm not sure how modern this is. That is how I was taught to set my mirrors in driver'd ed - back when Hair Bands ruled the airwaves and shoulder pads were worn by more girls than football players.

·
Registered
528 Posts

The old method of adjusting the outside mirrors to where you can see the back corner of your car results in blind spots. The following link gives a modern method for adjusting the outside mirrors and eliminates the blind spots and, as a bonus, headlight glare. It does take a while to get used to it, but it does work. Most people can adapt to it.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm going to try it today. Interesting site too... I'm going to show it to my son who is the newest driver in the house.

I think the most useful new feature on some cars now is the blindspot detection/warning system. I drove a new Impala recently with that feature and I loved it. I want it on every car now. Too bad the Volt doesn't have it... maybe they will add it to the next model.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm not sure how modern this is. That is how I was taught to set my mirrors in driver'd ed - back when Hair Bands ruled the airwaves and shoulder pads were worn by more girls than football players.
And I was taught this in 1968, when most cars didn't have right-side mirrors, but at least you could see out of them.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
It helps to adjust the mirrors so that you see cars moving from just out of one mirror, just into the next. you can do this on the volt just fine, with some care, with the stock mirrors. It helps to get convex mirrors too.

But on top of that, on the highway, part of your job as a driver is to know with certainty where the cars around you are and what their speed is relative to yours, if you don't, then you shouldn't be driving on that highway. I know that sounds harsh and pedantic, and I intend it to sound that way. This is a critical minimal driving skill from my perspective. one that every driver out to be tested on every 5 years in a driving simulator test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts