GM Volt Forum banner

Rear bumper lower fascia removal and replacement DIY?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  VoltAP1 
#1 ·
my wife was rear-ended by a car going about 2 mph or less and there are dents only on the lower fascia of the rear bumper (the piano black part). It's not bad, but I'd get charged at the end of the lease and paintless dent removal would probably cost $150-$200.

It looks like the part can be had for about $250 (even with "Core" charge).

If the part comes in piano black, I'd just assume doing it myself would lead to a better result.

Has anyone removed that part? Is it straightforward? Seems that way from the videos I've seen online for people installing hitches etc.

The part number is 23369767
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-lower-cover-23369767

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I haven't removed just the black part, but I have removed the whole bumper to install a hitch. It was honestly super easy. I unfortunately did not pay attention to how the black part connects to the rest of the bumper, but I would be willing to bet it is pretty easy to separate and install the replacement.

#7 ·
I don't think it's painted at all. I think it's a very high polish mold, and that's the natural ABS finish.

I could be wrong, but I was also rear ended, sadly at a higher speed than 2 mph, and the rear lower fascia was pretty mangled up in a few areas and it looked like it was the ABS itself that I was seeing. No flaking/broken paint. It took on that characteristic white-ish hue from ABS that's been strained too much. The bumper cover itself had the paint split and crack where it was bent a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.