GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Tesla said it had nothing to do with hiring the ones who built its paint shop.

It never employed Lesnik, did not control his work, and was not responsible for his pay or immigration status, the company said. “Tesla expects all its contractors and their subs ... to comply with all applicable pay laws.”
I read the same type of denials from Apple about what goes on at Hon Hai (Foxconn) and Flextronics.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
The wealthier and more popular the company is, the more likely it seems to get away with "cutting corners"...until the ****e hits the fan...:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
The telecom and oil field companies insulate themselves the same way by hiring a contractor who hires a subcontractor for dangerous jobs. That way, when safety violations occur and someone is seriously injured or dies, the company has no liability.

·
Banned
301 Posts
The wealthier and more popular the company is, the more likely it seems to get away with "cutting corners"...until the ****e hits the fan...:rolleyes:
Wait, I thought Tesla had no money so how can it be one of those wealthier companies? How is hiring lower cost labor cutting corners? These aren't the technicians that run the machines these are the people who move one rock from one side of the plant to to another. Maybe they should do like GM and send it to Mexico where $5 hour is almost unheard of.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Yeah, I think on a big construction project it's more or less impossible to keep track of all the contractors and subs. Doesn't have much to do with Tesla but does highlight the problem with H1B program.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh give it a rest guys.
https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/response-mercury-news-article-hidden-workforce-expanding-teslas-factory

Tesla was paying $55/hour for this job. They hired a subcontractor who hired another subcontractor. The second subcontractor broke the rules.
And now you give it a rest.

If Tesla had used American labor it would have cost them a minimum of $150 an hour in the fly over states and probably $200 an hour in California. If a union worker is getting $55 an hour in money and $45 an hour in benefits then the contractor hiring him out is getting $200 an hour.

When any company sees labor costs at half the going rate they know non-union labor is being used... if it is 1/4 the going rate they know foreign illegal labor is being used. Tesla's mistake was assuming that since the US government is now pro-illegal foreign worker this would be fine... but the sub-contractor he used was exploiting white foreigners instead of exploiting brown foreigners so that will get you no sympathy in the court of public opinion.

Keith

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
And this is news worthy? Must be a slow day around the water cooler.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Oh give it a rest guys.
https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/response-mercury-news-article-hidden-workforce-expanding-teslas-factory

Tesla was paying $55/hour for this job. They hired a subcontractor who hired another subcontractor. The second subcontractor broke the rules.
Yes I always run to Tesla for my Tesla propaganda.

Anyway, numbers in question aside hellsop was talking about following labor and immigration laws, which seems to be the focus of the article more than anything.

About 140 workers from Eastern Europe, mostly from Croatia and Slovenia, built a new paint shop at Tesla’s Fremont plant, a project vital to the flagship Silicon Valley automaker’s plans to ramp up production of its highly anticipated Model 3 sedan....etcetera.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Perhaps the honeymoon is over.

California has an adversarial relationship with manufacturing. Our elected government and media outlets do not want manufacturing here. They want a pure service-based employment model, but most service jobs are very low paying. Hence the push to double the minimum wage.

GM and Toyota did not leave that factory because it was profitable. They left because California did not want them there.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

Anyway, numbers in question aside hellsop was talking about following labor and immigration laws, which seems to be the focus of the article more than anything.
And a judge dismissed Tesla from the law suit around that.
In California, the sub-contractor is responsible for the legality of the employees it hires, not the company that hired a contractor, that hired the subcontractor, that hired illegals.

I'm having some landscaping done, should I go out and check all the work Visas of the subcontractors of the landscaping company?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Perhaps I'm being naive, but it seems to me that any company that wanted to insure that any workers on the job would have the required minimum wage could do so by contract, with a no-pay penalty provision if the contract were violated and court action if fraud ensued. Sorry, I don't let Tesla or any company off the hook where wages are concerned.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
@ Zythryn
If you were interested enough, you could have the company you hired show you its records by making that part of your verbal or written contract with them. That is simple enough.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
In California, the sub-contractor is responsible for the legality of the employees it hires, not the company that hired a contractor, that hired the subcontractor, that hired illegals.

I'm having some landscaping done, should I go out and check all the work Visas of the subcontractors of the landscaping company?
Irrelevant. For $100 I can get such documents made that you will never be able to tell whether they are real or not.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

I ask my contractors if everyone on my job has has a green card. If they're legit green cards, no one but the workers know. Make you feel better?

P.S. Legal liability and moral values are not the same thing. I give a flying hang what Tesla does, doesn't do, or even thinks about doing. I have no Kool-Aid invested in this one.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

Only if you are planning on running for office...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Tesla issued a lengthy response to the article on Monday, saying: “We are taking action to address [Lesnik’s] situation and to put in place additional oversight to ensure that our workplace rules are followed even by sub-subcontractors to prevent such a thing from happening again.”
SO...... I guess Tesla will be checking green cards then?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

No, the lawsuit from which the judge dismissed Tesla as a defendant was over unsafe working conditions. Which is legit: the paint shop being built at Tesla behest was not turned over to Tesla yet, Tesla wasn't running the place an no day-to-day supervision of the site.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts