GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
lugs.jpg So a month ago or so ago I noticed one lug cover missing. Then after the recent inspection and then having to change tires I notice during my calliper painting task the lugs of several are near stripped from cover to lug so much the cover is of and I remove the lug directly its half stripped and now jammed in my socket. So DP Accessories on Amazon had a set of black for 30 bucks...bought an extra lug per wheel. The had silver too but like the black. The quality seems to be darn good. Surely if Accessory companies can sell them this price GM can get them cheaper in bulk! If a lug got stripped on my hub bolt it would a lot more than 30 bucks to fix that! Are you listening GM!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had to deal with similar capped lug nuts on my Mopar vehicles. First thing I did when I got my last car was remove them, and replace them with Gorilla Lug Nuts before they couldn't be removed at all. Such a poor design. I guess I'll be swapping them out on my Volt too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the same issue with the covers falling off. I bought some chrome Dorman replacements that are 1 piece off Amazon. Box of 10 was $21. I think when you get your tires rotated, the impact wrench loosens the covers.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Caddy used to be TERRIBLE for this crap :(

Poor quality chrome lug covers are also the bane of the limo industry

·
Registered
412 Posts
I guess it all depends on how the nuts are removed and replaced. Judging from your picture, too much torque has been added and used when removing them. I try to insist that torque wrenches be used and air tools not touch the wheels. Air tools are for lazy people and it just takes a worn impact socket (or worse, a deep socket that isn't designed for air tools) to frack things up in a hurry. So far, mine are still intact. I have replaced the ones on my Ford truck's Magnum 500 wheels with McGard wheel nuts - they have a good finish are aren't ridiculously expensive. I may try them if the OEM fail.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
They're pretty bad.
You can avoid it for a while by limiting use of impact wrench, but eventually they just come apart because of corrosion at the base popping them loose.

Worst part is when they come off in the socket and get wedged in. I had one that refused to come out and I punctured a hole in the top before it came loose. (trying to use a screwdriver from the other end of the socket to push it out)

I ordered a set of solid nuts online and hope they're of decent quality when they arrive.

·
Administrator
20,152 Posts
6+ years, almost 95k miles here in winter salt country and my lug nuts look new. I have rotated my tires every 7500 miles since day one. But I do my own and I use a torque wrench. I simply don't like the over-torquing that seems to happen way too often at tire shops or dealer service centers based on past experience with previous cars. Side benefit: my nuts don't get mashed. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts