GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting either a 2015 or 2016 Volt. Most of driving distance is trips of about 100 miles. I live on a pretty high hill for the area (n. central Mass, 1300' elevation). Most of my trips will begin with a 6 mile steady down hill with a 1000' elevation drop with a few short mild uphill slopes followed by fairly level road with mild downhills. I'm guessing that with regen I'll finish that first 6 miles with a full charge and maybe go for the next couple miles with almost a full charge. Then I have a couple miles of flat city roads (usually not much traffic) followed by 25 miles or so on highways (50 mph to 65 mph speed limit). In the near term I can't charge at the other end.

I've set up a spread sheet with my mileage calcs:
53 mile EV range (2016)
47 miles on gas
43 mpg highway gas mpg for 2016
47/43 = gallons of gas used on trip = 1.09 gals
91.5 mpg (miles/gal gas).

My estimate for the 2015 ends up at: 1.5 gals, 67.8 mpg.

Do these estimates seem reasonable? By driving gently can I extend this?
How much might regen add to the electrical range in driving like this?

Clearly we need more charging stations and faster charging. If I could charge at the other end of the trip (after 50 miles) I wouldn't use much gas, but that won't always be possible.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The biggest range killer will be temperature. Generally speaking we've seen higher real world numbers than what you see on the EPA tests. Given your drive cycle, which is fairly mild, over the course of a year I'd expect you do beat these numbers. Just get the heated seats.

I also expect the MPG difference to be smaller than projected because of the engine running due to temperature and so forth. But as a rough approximation this is fine. My guess would be that in warmer weather if you drive carefully you'll make it to work in either MY. The advantage of the 2016 would be you'd have a little reserve for the trip back. A drop of 300 meters would be 2000 kg X 300 meters / 360 sec^2 = 1.67 kWh. That's about six miles of AER when driving conservatively.

The difference in price between the two MY will be much greater than any gas savings, so deciding to get the 2016 MY would be based on factors other than range or MPG.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You are going to get your first 6 miles almost free, so you can start counting your electric range from the bottom of the hill. Getting back home up that hill is going to require lots of extra energy, so you will be giving it all back and then some when you make that climb. You won't be able to stretch the numbers much unless you go at an unrealistic slow pace.

The main thing to consider is that charging at your destination is going to make all the difference, and all you need is a normal 120 volt outlet. Those are everywhere. You should be able to figure out how to get access to one if you get creative. You can get most of a full charge during a normal workday. Enough to really boost your numbers.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Those numbers seem realistic to me. You should be able to do better than those numbers 9 months of the year but will do worse than that for the 3 months of winter.

Overall you should do slightly better than your calculated numbers.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'll often drive 100 miles a day with only a single full charge in my '13 (which has slightly less usable kWh than the '15). This usually gets me in the low/mid 70s MPG, so I think with the '15 you'll do slightly better than that and certainly higher than 60s mpg (in fair weather). It actually amazes me how much better you can do with the Volt than you planned.

The only thing I would look into is how much you can realistically recapture in regen if you are coming DOWN hill on a full or mostly full charge -- the Volt won't overcharge much beyond its "maximum" of around 83.5% charge, and if you try to capture energy beyond that, regen will actually stop. There are other members here who start their journeys with a full or near full charge at the top of a hill and you might be able to get more information from searching around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts