GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM and Chevrolet has release their "Real People - not Actors" ad for the new 2017 Chevy Malibu Hybrid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0QV60vVvo0

Even GM Authority likes the new ad:"We think this is an excellent way to convey the 2016 Malibu hybrid’s fuel efficiency. We simply owe the advertising team a round of applause."

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05/2016-chevrolet-malibu-hybrid-makes-for-some-unsuspecting-fares-video/

I am waiting for the full production to begin, so my local GM dealer can sell and service it.:cool:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Oh Snap. Sounds like unless you never ever look at domestic cars under any condition, this is going to be a Prius, Camry, and Accord killer. Prius economy, but larger than Camry and Accord, but with family friendly Teen Driving systems.

Not only will it try to protect new drivers, it also keeps a report car about how many times the warning systems go off so you can see how your kid is actually driving.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Excellent ad at 2 minutes of length; perfect for the internet. However for television, with the exception of the Super Bowl, it's going to have to be deeply edited down to 30 seconds. I think it can be done - for sports event commercials, edit out all the people except one or two of the men; for more female/family oriented programs, focus on the woman who makes the 'smart' comment at the ad's end.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
It's a much better version than the "us versus them" motif that they were using before. I couldn't care less about the Prius, Leaf, etc. Tell me about what you are offering and why it is great. Let me discover for myself (a more powerful effect) why your competitors are so lackluster.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Excellent ad at 2 minutes of length; perfect for the internet. However for television, with the exception of the Super Bowl, it's going to have to be deeply edited down to 30 seconds. I think it can be done - for sports event commercials, edit out all the people except one or two of the men; for more female/family oriented programs, focus on the woman who makes the 'smart' comment at the ad's end.
A short version was on TV last night.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Finally, GM marketing gets a hit with an electrified product! Not a home run, but at least they've figured out how to make contact with the ball (the customer) and get on-base (on-message). Hopefully this is a prelude to some heavy market hitting for the Gen 2 Volt and the Bolt EV, with a couple of 4-baggers.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Oh Snap. Sounds like unless you never ever look at domestic cars under any condition, this is going to be a Prius, Camry, and Accord killer. Prius economy, but larger than Camry and Accord, but with family friendly Teen Driving systems.

Not only will it try to protect new drivers, it also keeps a report car about how many times the warning systems go off so you can see
how your kid is actually driving.
Oh yes, a mid-size sedan with limited cargo space, that's less efficient and costs thousands more is guaranteed to be a Prius killer. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

Not only will it try to protect new drivers, it also keeps a report car about how many times the warning systems go off so you can see
how your kid is actually driving.
Oh yes, a mid-size sedan with limited cargo space, that's less efficient and costs thousands more is guaranteed to be a Prius killer.
Malibu doesn't look like a piece of steaming sh!t like the new prius.....that's a big factor.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Just waiting for a real test drive, no games, of the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. I want to know the real mpg's, etc. They are already for sale on GM dealers lot. Why no review, I don't get it....

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Just waiting for a real test drive, no games, of the 2016 Malibu Hybrid. I want to know the real mpg's, etc. They are already for sale on GM dealers lot. Why no review, I don't get it....
I'm not sure what you are saying/implying by this. The Malibu Hybrid has already been tested by the EPA with a city mileage of 47 mpg and a combined mileage of 46 mpg. Are you expecting/hoping that the mileage doesn't correspond to EPA estimates?

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/mar/0321-chevrolet-malibu-hybrid.html

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Remember the Ford Fusion Hybrid, 47 hwy 47 city 47 combined. That was EPA. Real world driving not even close.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Remember the Ford Fusion Hybrid, 47 hwy 47 city 47 combined. That was EPA. Real world driving not even close.
OK. I figured that was what you were getting at. I tend to give companies the benefit of the doubt until they are found to be cheating, and GM has been one of companies whose vehicles have consistently exceeded EPA estimates. In other words, they chronically understate and over perform.

Regardless, if an independent testing agency can't convince you, I doubt I can say anything that help with your cognitive dissonance.

·
1,308 Posts
EPA issued a guidance document last year that specified in greater detail exactly how to perform the tests to remove any previous ambiguity that may have resulted in inconsistent testing interpretations.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Malibu doesn't look like a piece of steaming sh!t like the new prius.....that's a big factor.
The Prius hasn't ever sold on looks. It's sold on a combination of efficiency, practicality and reliability.
The Malibu Hybrid similarly won't compete with the c or v.

But should be very disruptive in the mid-size market.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Indeed, I got to inspect a new Malibu in person, in the gorgeous metallic red. A beautiful car from all angles. Where I live they probably won't be selling the hybrid so I'll have to go to Spokane to see one. It's larger than a Camry? Hard to believe. Our Camry hybrid is huge inside. You could live in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The Prius hasn't ever sold on looks. It's sold on a combination of efficiency, practicality and reliability.
Gen2/Gen3 styling definitely was one of the most important reasons as to why it sold so well - it visually communicated all those sensible reasons to buy a Prius you mentioned. Its styling stood out with a friendly, intelligent vibe and it attracted people who shared those same qualities.

The new Prius has lost all that with its strange, gloomy-gothic look. More repulsive, not as friendly. It may be even more efficient and practical than before, but it has lost that 'je ne sais quoi' and so I predict its sales will suffer. I've already seen commercials for the new Prius in which sales incentives are already being dangled.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
GM tends to do better at hitting their advertising claims than other manufacturers.

They know they have a huge target painted on their back, so try to exceed the claims instead.

Magazines don't find testing hybrid family cars all that much fun. They will review it when they run out of exciting cars to test.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I saw a second short commercial for the Malibu Hybrid tonight. The first had a fare of .20 and the second commercial had a fare of .31.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts