GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The volt is the smallest car I have owned, and the back seat was tight. But after testing the backseat of the ELR, it made the volt seem roomy. I did some research online and found that the back of both the ELR and volt has a dip in the seat panel.

Most foams in cars are 3lbs in density and an IDF (firmness) of 50+. By modifying the seat with 2lbs foam and an IDF of 35 or less, the cushion gives more and you sink down almost an extra inch. It makes the back seat useable for many adults.

WARNING: Try at your own risk! This is just here for information and I cannot be held responsible if you mess up! Oh, and you should probably not do this if you are leasing the vehicle unless you have a spare seat to put in once the lease is done.

Okay:
1) Removing the seat on an ELR (and Volt) is easy. I placed my fingers under the front corner of the seat and pull up. Again in the center, and then the other corner. There are three clips that hold the seat down.
2) There are about 15 plastic clips that I removed with a clip removal tool (looks like a v shaped fork at a 45 degree angle so you can pry it up). I left the back of the seat cover connected so it looks like a flap.
3) The seat has three parts: The seat cover, the foam, and the frame. There are 3 plastic clips that attach to the metal rod of the frame that I unclipped, and the foam has a several clips in the foam that a plastic rod from the seat cover is attached. To detach I placed one thumb by the clip and the other on the plastic rod and pulled till it unclipped. I repeated for the other clips.
4) I used a long sharp razor blade and sawed through the foam around the crease of the 2 backward sections at an outward 20 degree angle on the sides and a 45 degree angle on the front. (it allows the hard foam to taper off when sitting on it) I left 7 of the front clips in the foam, two of which I cut around.
5) I cut out and shaped a 2” thick 2lbs density about 30 IDF foam with a 45 degree angle on the front to merge in with the newly cut original foam.
6) I then reassembled the seat and reattached the clips to the metal rod and used the hole to reattach the clips on the foam to the seat cover’s plastic rod. Pressed the black plastic clips into place around the seat cover.
7) Once the seat was back together I placed the new foam into the hole in the foam that I created and snapped the seat back into the car.

Original ELR backseat headroom : 34.7 inches.
First Gen Volt : 36 inches.
Second Gen Volt : 35.8 inches.
Effective modified ELR headroom : 35.6 inches estimated.

I’m 5’11” and could not sit in the backseat as my head was firmly pressed up against the rear glass. With the modification I can sit in the car with about a finger or so between my head and the glass.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, great mod. Nice write up. I wonder if doing the back of the seat could improve leg room.
I thought about that. Based on how the seat is designed, it looked like it would be a lot of work and maybe some fabrication. Out of my league.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top