GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight on the way home, as I hung up the phone (using Bluetooth), as the entertainment system went back to playing music from the HDD, the system hung, no sound, no control, no touch buttons worked except for climate. I was on the highway and it seemed to be running fine mechanically so I drove home. I figured it just needed to be restarted so I turned it off and on a couple of times and the system went to the message above in the title.

I called onstar and they sent me to a VA. They felt like it needed to be reset (I assume rebooted) and advised I take it to the dealer in the morning.

I just went out and started the car up and the problem has gone away and everything is working again. I assume it was some sort of chkdisk routine or a timer waiting for something, but very odd. I wonder if there is some sort of log that would point to the error?

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Weird stuff happens on occasion. WSHOO. That is my own technical explanation and error code :)

The other day I pulled out of the garage and pressed the hands free button for Virtual Advisor to download a Google map I had sent. The car could not connect. I called OnStar and they said the car was basically no where to be found on the face of the earth. They too said take it to the dealer (of course). The next day, all worked as it should and it has not happened since. WSHOO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Weird stuff happens on occasion. WSHOO. That is my own technical explanation and error code :)

The other day I pulled out of the garage and pressed the hands free button for Virtual Advisor to download a Google map I had sent. The car could not connect. I called OnStar and they said the car was basically no where to be found on the face of the earth. They too said take it to the dealer (of course). The next day, all worked as it should and it has not happened since. WSHOO.
Same thing happened to me when I borrowed my dealership's demo overnight before ordering mine, I asked the OnStar rep to program the nav (I still don't know how to do this while moving) He told me he couldn't find the car, hang up and try right back. Next guy said they couldn't find any of the Volts, the Manager using the Volt as his demo didn't have a problem with it, so they fixed whatever was wrong obviously.

Also my Volt should get built this week if everything goes acording to the data available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And it did it again.

OK, it happened again. At least it is reproducible. Same exact symptom. Hanging up a phone call (I did it from the phone, maybe thats it), and the center console hung. Message was "Reading HDD..." Once it was finished, everything came back. Very odd. My two cents. Software bug or failing HDD, just not dead yet. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't use special characters

Ok, took car into dealer (thank you Volt Advisor) and it turns out that the recommendation is to not name files with asterisks or exclamation points (not clear about other special characters). Fix was to reformat hard drive and clear the buffers. I can't find the documented anywhere but maybe it's in the book someplace. Haven't had a recurrence but I've only had it back 24 hours.

3,606 Posts
@ Johnp250,

Glad to hear you have not had any occurrence yet. Keep an eye on it and let us know if you run into any further issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts