GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
I try to maintain 150+ MPG. However, my daily work commute is only 18 miles in a 2013 Volt. I look forward to the day when all drivers are more concerned with energy consumption than a big engine. Big engine = small ----.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Congratulations. A great milestone. Funny how over at Voltstats.net - there are people who are running 99.2% of their driving miles in pure EV mode, but still top out at 97MPGe or so....

So you are doing great! :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Congratulations. A great milestone. Funny how over at Voltstats.net - there are people who are running 99.2% of their driving miles in pure EV mode, but still top out at 97MPGe or so....

ERDTT in cold climate, no?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have probably the worst stats of ALL gen 2 on voltstats

EV Miles:7138.43#1521 / 28.7%
Total Miles:10260.50#1511 / 29.2%
EV %:69.6%#1391 / 34.8%
MPG:93.36#1622 / 24.0%
MPGe:57.89#1632 / 23.5%
MPGCS:28.41#1860 / 12.8%

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where do you find the stats on how many miles driven on EV and how many on ICE?

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts

So you are doing great!
I do find it funny that there are so many volt owners on volt stats with 99+% EV miles. These people have purchased the wrong car for their needs or they are forcing their usage to match the capabilities of the car. Why not just get a full EV car?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very nice! It is tough to get that number up there. Mine is at 81.7. I doubt I will ever get that high due to the winters here in IL.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I do find it funny that there are so many volt owners on volt stats with 99+% EV miles. These people have purchased the wrong car for their needs or they are forcing their usage to match the capabilities of the car. Why not just get a full EV car?
Where I live the only two full EV's you can buy semi-locally are a Leaf (fugly with a side of range anxiety) or a Tesla (can't afford and would still have to travel 3 hrs out of state to test drive).

I am currently at 99% EV on my daily commute but this summer I have three 12+ hr road trips I will be taking.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Been a longtime coming.... yay!...
Over how many miles has this been achieved? Just curious. I've only got about 1100 miles on my '17, but it's already at 116MPGe and the value seems to be slowly going up. I've forced the ICE on with Hold mode on two occasions just to make sure it is operating normally. I also found out on one occasion that, in Sport mode with the traction control turned off, the tires will squeal. Otherwise I've been "balloon-footing" and I wouldn't have used any gas yet. Others have said MPGe is an unreliable or worthless indicator, but I have no idea. I don't even understand how it is arrived at.

...I look forward to the day when all drivers are more concerned with energy consumption than a big engine. Big engine = small ----.
That's not quite accurate. Actually, it's "someone getting all superior over other people's choices = small ----". It's OK to feel superior to everyone else if all of the energy you use comes from a solar array and/or a wind turbine...provided that the procurement/transportation of their raw materials, and their manufacturing processes, were both accomplished without the use of any energy that resulted in carbon emissions. If you do fall into this category, then my hat is off to you. You're a better person than most of the rest of us...

Where do you find the stats on how many miles driven on EV and how many on ICE?
If you have the OnStar app, just tap "Vehicle Status". That information will be at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Because Leafs are awful. Because Teslas are expensive. Because that 1% of miles on ICE (in my case, it's actually 3.3% - 100 miles out of about 3000) followed a whole lot of electric miles driven that day without a worry in the world about having enough charge to get home. Because having an ICE means that I can go wherever I want on American roads, which always have a gas station within 50-100 miles. Because the wife said "absolutely not" to an electric-only car because of all of the reasons just mentioned.

It's OK to feel superior to everyone else if all of the energy you use comes from a solar array and/or a wind turbine...provided that the procurement/transportation of their raw materials, and their manufacturing processes, were both accomplished without the use of any energy that resulted in carbon emissions.
It's not a question of feeling superior - it's a question of feeling good about one's own choices and how they impact the environment. Also, no one (or very few) can lead a carbon emissions-free existence. It is reasonable (and admirable) to set a goal of reducing one's carbon use.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*THIS* is exactly why I bought a 2016 Volt over a pure EV. Aside from the lack of power memory seats in the front, I don't feel like I have given up anything driving my Volt- only gained. Factor in that I'm charging the car with solar power from my roof, I've only gained.

I haven't been this happy with a car since I purchased my VW Jetta TDI in 2006.

Because Leafs are awful. Because Teslas are expensive. Because that 1% of miles on ICE (in my case, it's actually 3.3% - 100 miles out of about 3000) followed a whole lot of electric miles driven that day without a worry in the world about having enough charge to get home. Because having an ICE means that I can go wherever I want on American roads, which always have a gas station within 50-100 miles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This has been over 6600 miles. Start using the ICE more and you'll see that number drop precipitously, especially with the relatively low miles on your ODO.

I, too, drive with a balloon under my foot, but I'm very conscious of the traffic around me. I don't want to be that annoying guy coasting to a light with someone behind me. I basically coast / use L mode in traffic and the regen paddle whenever possible. It is fun to me.

Over how many miles has this been achieved? Just curious. I've only got about 1100 miles on my '17, but it's already at 116MPGe and the value seems to be slowly going up. I've forced the ICE on with Hold mode on two occasions just to make sure it is operating normally.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. According to my listing on voltstats.net I'm 99.26 MPGe.. Not sure why the difference, but I'm still happy with the number. I thought that I was 98% EV%, but it is lower at 95.7%.

I'm sure one long trip will bring this to an end quickly. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
My number is skewed at 212 mpg lifetime as I only have about 500 miles on my 2017 so far. Still a thrill to see though! For what it's worth my 2012 was at 110 lifetime when I traded it in at 45,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I had a 79-mile-range round trip today with 157 MPGe. WooHoo!

...It's not a question of feeling superior - it's a question of feeling good about one's own choices and how they impact the environment. Also, no one (or very few) can lead a carbon emissions-free existence. It is reasonable (and admirable) to set a goal of reducing one's carbon use.
I love my Volt. It's quiet and fun to drive, but when in electric mode, it's running on coal dust, not fairy dust...and that's only looking at its end use. I'm not yet convinced that the manufacture and driving of a car with two complete drive trains is really all that much better for the environment, even if I'm only using the electric one so far. I'm waiting to see how all this stuff shakes out before patting myself on the back. You go ahead, though.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I had a 79-mile-range round trip today with 157 MPGe. WooHoo!

I love my Volt. It's quiet and fun to drive, but when in electric mode, it's running on coal dust, not fairy dust...and that's only looking at its end use. I'm not yet convinced that the manufacture and driving of a car with two complete drive trains is really all that much better for the environment, even if I'm only using the electric one so far. I'm waiting to see how all this stuff shakes out before patting myself on the back. You go ahead, though.
Actually you have only one drive train, but two different fuels. It is a duel fuel car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Been a longtime coming.... yay!

Nice work man, I'm in the mid 70's. Not sure why I started out so low, but I've been climbing steadily Hoping to reach the 80's by months end!

-Steele

·
Registered
32 Posts
My car is approaching 100 MPGe and might get there in a few weeks (I'm at 99.3 now). I'm torn about whether this is a great milestone or not though - at least for me. It seems more like the product of avoiding long trips than anything else. Still, I'd by lying if I said I would get at least a little excited when I cross that threshold. Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts