GM Volt Forum banner

Rattling Noise In Back Of 2017 Chevy Volt

5762 Views 24 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Dizle
Hi everyone, I have a 2017 chevy volt LT. Every time I ride, especially when I am going over bumps and bumpy roads, there is this rattling noise like an aluminum can bouncing around against metal. I think its something loose inside the rear trim assembly of the cargo lift/hatchback because when I shake or push back and forth the lift, the same sound occurs. I don't think its anything serious or something that immediately needs to be addressed but its really annoying to drive to. I tried to remove the rear trim assembly myself but could only open it partially as I was afraid any more force would break it. Any help would be awesome.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
I too have a rattle, more of a clicking over bumps or acceleration from the passenger side hatch. Cannot for the life of me figure it out! When it’s cold it goes away, heat brings it back. It sounds metallic to me.

· Registered
72 Posts
I also have a 2017 volt that experienced the same problem. Mine turned out to be inside the hatch itself. The dealer fixed it under warranty. I think they ended up replacing the glass. Hope this helps. It drove me crazy.
I suspect it might be my hatch glass but I’m out of bumper to bumper warranty and not spending money to get it replaced!

· Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, I’ve adjusted them countless times with no change in the sound. Next step is pulling all the plastic off of the interior hatch area and see if that fixes it!

I doubt the glass is loose, it's basically glued in. Perhaps you mean the hatch frame? If so, as others have said, there are black rubber bumpers that can be adjusted by screwing them in/out with your fingers.

· Registered
72 Posts
Update on my clicking noise from the rear:
I think I’ve narrowed it down to the rear passenger seat where it locks in to the hook. The plastic trim around there on the seat itself seems to be clicking when I drive (I think). Been 5 or so days with that seat down and no annoying click!

· Registered
72 Posts
Update: still have the metallic click. Lowing the rear passenger seat doesn’t help. I’ve removed almost all of the plastic trim from the hatch, even the stoppers on the hatch and it’s still there. It has gotten better somehow and is now even harder to replicate. I still think it’s the glass, I shoved shims in between the glass and metal hatch but it was still there. Seems so have lessened after that but it’s hard to say what made it marginally better.

· Registered
72 Posts
My 2016 volt has had a metallic rattle in the back right area since it purchased. Dealer keeps saying "can't replicate" although for me it happens on almost every drive, particularly slow speeds.

Had it in the shop a week or two ago and they finally said they could hear it and that it was a "defective rear axel" and that it would need to be replaced if I wanted the rattle to go away. I'm out of warranty so will likely just live with it (~$2800 to fix they say)...

Will try the hatch adjustment people reference above, but this sounds highly metallic and think metal sounding so I don't think it's the hatch. It's frustrating since it's been doing it from the day it drove off the lot as a new car, but no fix from GM.
that’s nuts, can you get a video/ audio of your sound? I still haven’t figured out mine 🤣 rode in the hatch for about 10 miles and I didn’t hear it at all. It just appears so randomly sometimes over the smallest of bumps! I’m still convinced it’s the hatch and I will find it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.