GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chevy dealer today figured out what the rattle is in rough roads, apparently on some volts built prior to September 12, 2011 they are replacing the front brake pads. Sure enough, if when going over bumpy roads and I simultaneously apply the brakes, the rattle goes away. So for anyone else with this noise, check it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Robinpdx:
I'm getting a sound which seems to be two pieces of metal hitting each other, from the front of the car. It is only discernable as I pull into the garage, or when pulling into a parking space, when it is very quiet. I don't get it once on the road, even a low speed. Sound similar to your noise? Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is only discernable as I pull into the garage, or when pulling into a parking space, when it is very quiet.
I hear that sound when I'm pulling into the garage or the other day when going through a drive through. I guess the echoing off the walls makes it easier to hear. It sounds like a tinkling sound to me and I'll have it looked at when I take it in for my customer satisfaction upgrade.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Our front brakes rattle on any little bump or tar strip in the road. We put the car on our dealer's hoist and when he would bang on those brakes with a plastic malet you could hear the rattle. I am not sure whether it comes from the pads or the calipers. If these cars made more noise we would never notice things like that. I rarely use the brakes, maybe thats why.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My guess is that they are using pads without anti-rattle clips. That's an easy fix: use pads WITH an anti-rattle clip.

This is what an anti-rattle clip looks like:

It fixes the pad firmly to the caliper piston so it can't move around and, you know, rattle.

- Mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a Chirping sound coming from the front end of my Volt, and it would sound off when I slammed the driver's door. It turned out to be a couple of pipes in the cooling section of the front of the car rubbing together. My dealer fixed it very quickly. I originally thought it was my brake pads also. Could be worth considering....
Good luck with the problem.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Rattle clips or shim pads should take care of it. A lot of cars do this too... I think most people don't notice the brakes rattling in an ICE car because of that big rattle box under the front hood masks the brake noise. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts