GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar to some other folks, I'm struggling with rattles all over this car. Much as I like it, it is not the best assembly job. So I think I found one rattle point, and I'm curious if anyone else can verify this. Under the right rear door I found this exhaust bushing that seems to be disconnected (see attachment). The bushing is attached to the exhaust, but not to the car which has an attachment point that is sticking into thin air. Is this normal, or do I need a trip to the dealer?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
That's not right. I'd take it in and have your dealership put the car up on a lift and fix this. While they're under there ask them to check for other loose connections.

If they have a lift that lifts the body and not the wheels have them do that and check the tightness of the suspension. Cars are assembled with the suspension hanging and sometimes you can't see the source of a suspension rattle when the car is sitting on the tires.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I wonder how many cars left the factory like that. Doesn't look like a one-off assembly failure. More like a "I have to run out of mounts or someone will notice" or "The dealer will have to fix this" thing.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder how many cars left the factory like that. Doesn't look like a one-off assembly failure. More like a "I have to run out of mounts or someone will notice" or "The dealer will have to fix this" thing.
That's great! :)

It's been more than 10 years since I've had a new car with any real assembly issues. A component failure maybe, or what is more common these days -- computer gremlins with crazy infotainment systems. But I unfortunately have to admit that this Volt's fit and finish do not inspire confidence either. There's nothing I hate more than visits to the dealer, and I wish I had had a chance to fully test drive this particular car before taking it home.

·
Registered
657 Posts
One of the issues with my new 2017 Volt is that it is so quiet that you start to hear small noises or vibrations that probably would not even be noticed with a normal car. When there is a strong bass in the soundtrack of any music I am listening to, I have a vibration that I hear as a "buzz" that is coming from my driverside door near the doorlock. It IS annoying.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
That's great! :)

It's been more than 10 years since I've had a new car with any real assembly issues. A component failure maybe, or what is more common these days -- computer gremlins with crazy infotainment systems. But I unfortunately have to admit that this Volt's fit and finish do not inspire confidence either. There's nothing I hate more than visits to the dealer, and I wish I had had a chance to fully test drive this particular car before taking it home.
Well, I was speculating but the dealer will have to fix it anyway. If this is the worst thing they didn't do you should be okay.

Rattles and such change with temperature as plastics will change shape. I expect that's common among manufacturers.

One of the issues with my new 2017 Volt is that it is so quiet that you start to hear small noises or vibrations that probably would not even be noticed with a normal car. When there is a strong bass in the soundtrack of any music I am listening to, I have a vibration that I hear as a "buzz" that is coming from my driverside door near the doorlock. It IS annoying.
Pull the liner out of the door armrest and check if the bolts are secure in there. I think there's another bolt up by the door handle somewhere. More than one person has found that theirs were a bit loose for some reason.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you in general, but the rattles I hear are not small, and would be noticeable regardless.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I was speculating but the dealer will have to fix it anyway. If this is the worst thing they didn't do you should be okay.

Rattles and such change with temperature as plastics will change shape. I expect that's common among manufacturers.

Pull the liner out of the door armrest and check if the bolts are secure in there. I think there's another bolt up by the door handle somewhere. More than one person has found that theirs were a bit loose for some reason.
Agreed that if this is the worst it will be fine.

Who wants to tear apart the interior panels of their new car? My experience with doing that is that paper/fiberboard panels never go back on properly once taken off. There is always some amount of stress deterioration in the removal process. Once it's off, before you will experience that new car solidarity again, you will need a new panel and new fasteners to the bare metal.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Agreed that if this is the worst it will be fine.

Who wants to tear apart the interior panels of their new car? My experience with doing that is that paper/fiberboard panels never go back on properly once taken off. There is always some amount of stress deterioration in the removal process. Once it's off, before you will experience that new car solidarity again, you will need a new panel and new fasteners to the bare metal.
In a previous life I tore apart luxury cars and re-assembled longer versions. It's not that hard really.

The tough part is knowing how tight to tighten bolts/screws in tinnerman clips. One turn too many and you need a new one. I suspect that's an issue in assembly plants too, judging by how many reports of loose screws we see (not that many but it's #1 with a bullet).

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
In a previous life I tore apart luxury cars and re-assembled longer versions. It's not that hard really.

The tough part is knowing how tight to tighten bolts/screws in tinnerman clips. One turn too many and you need a new one. I suspect that's an issue in assembly plants too, judging by how many reports of loose screws we see (not that many but it's #1 with a bullet).
You built limos? Learn something new every day...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Hah, in a previous life I managed a limo company (until the owners went to jail for failure to pay taxes but that is a different story).

I had to open a few panels and fix things (lights, air ducts that sort of stuff) a few times myself. I was usually pretty impressed.

However, some interesting stuff too. One brand new car had a tear in the leather, when I pulled it off to get it replaced I found that an assembler had forgotten his small tin of joints in a corner under the seats and I had another where I found two unopened beer cans in the main electronics bay behind the driver's compartment LOL.

We won't even go into the things found after people had rented the cars (ugh)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Similar to some other folks, I'm struggling with rattles all over this car. Much as I like it, it is not the best assembly job. So I think I found one rattle point, and I'm curious if anyone else can verify this. Under the right rear door I found this exhaust bushing that seems to be disconnected (see attachment). The bushing is attached to the exhaust, but not to the car which has an attachment point that is sticking into thin air. Is this normal, or do I need a trip to the dealer?
On the left of the photo, is that where the car has been lifted?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
You built limos? Learn something new every day...
Yep. Custom vans too. Mostly fond memories. It was a lot of fun, but it didn't pay all that well. My experience there helped me transition into factory automation.

Hah, in a previous life I managed a limo company (until the owners went to jail for failure to pay taxes but that is a different story).
I could tell a few stories. Most of our clients were people like your former bosses. One of them was Walter Payton (yes that Walter Payton).

One brand new car had a tear in the leather, when I pulled it off to get it replaced I found that an assembler had forgotten his small tin of joints in a corner under the seats
Were they any good?

We won't even go into the things found after people had rented the cars (ugh)
Or under the driver's seat. Let's not go there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We have a 2017 and 2016
My 2016 has a rattling from the inside left rear, my wife's 2017 rattles from the outside left front. Mine sounds like a loose seatbelt retractor, hers sounds like a loose suspension component.

Will the dealer cover these under warranty or is it time to pry off body panels on my 2016?

If so, anybody have some disassembly diagrams for the left rear interior pieces?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
We have a 2017 and 2016
My 2016 has a rattling from the inside left rear, my wife's 2017 rattles from the outside left front. Mine sounds like a loose seatbelt retractor, hers sounds like a loose suspension component.

Will the dealer cover these under warranty or is it time to pry off body panels on my 2016?

If so, anybody have some disassembly diagrams for the left rear interior pieces?

Thanks

Rattles are among the hardest of all customer complaints to resolve. First, you have to get the tech who will actually be working on your car to hear them. Then once they know the actual sound they have to try to replicate them in a relatively noisy shop environment.

Be patient with your dealership and assist them in positively being able to identify the offending rattles. This will help them help you.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
We have a 2017 and 2016

Thanks

It should be covered under the 3 year 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I could tell a few stories. Most of our clients were people like your former bosses. One of them was Walter Payton (yes that Walter Payton).

I miss sweetness. I was a student in college during that magical 85 Super Bowl run. I was really saddened during the game that they didn't give sweetness the ball near the goal line, but instead gave it to The Fridge. Payton deserved a Super Bowl touchdown, get he didn't get that chance.

http://beargoggleson.com/2017/03/03/chicago-bears-super-bowl-xx-history-touchdown-wasnt/

In this day and age of troublemakers in the NFL, Walter Payton was a classy guy, soft spoken, and let his rushing records speak for themselves. If some of you younger forum members haven't seen footage, go watch some YouTube and you'll be amazed and how Sweetness just glides and bounces around.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
In this day and age of troublemakers in the NFL, Walter Payton was a classy guy, soft spoken, and let his rushing records speak for themselves. If some of you younger forum members haven't seen footage, go watch some YouTube and you'll be amazed and how Sweetness just glides and bounces around.
He was outstanding on the football field in every way. He had a weakness for young ladies though, which lead to his divorce. He owned some clubs in and around Schaumburg, where the hotties were in ample supply.

He was the kind of guy who would be happy that they gave the ball to William Perry (The Fridge).

Anyway, back to rattles......

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
He was outstanding on the football field in every way. He had a weakness for young ladies though, which lead to his divorce. He owned some clubs in and around Schaumburg, where the hotties were in ample supply.

He was the kind of guy who would be happy that they gave the ball to William Perry (The Fridge).

Anyway, back to rattles......
Yes, I lived in Schaumburg, Itasca, palatine, and Hoffman estates the early 90s so many Chicagoland athlete sightings. I once saw Scottie Pippen and Richard dent at Harry Chins Crabhouse. Forgot the two other athletes at the table.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I wandered away from GM vehicles back in 2009 when I bought my wife a new Jaguar XK convertible, MSRP was $88K, my 2007 loaded Z06 listed for $77K.

This is how it was delivered

And none of my Volt's had to be carried to the dealer because it wouldn't start

But dam it was sexy, just not put together very well

They NEVER fixed it to my satisfaction. I dumped it after a year. So no matter the cost or pedigree automobiles can have faults.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts