GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had two Gen 1 Volts and got a 2018 Volt last month. I really like the car, however, I notice a rattling sound when I go over bumps. It sounds like it's coming from the dashboard around the A pillar. Before I have the dealer start tearing into it, I thought I would see if anyone has an idea what might be causing it. Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
No insight particular to the Volt, sorry. But this reminds me of my 1983 Volvo GL that developed a clunk sound going over certain types of bumps. Sound was coming from the firewall area on the driver's side. The dealer shop spent hours looking for the source. They pulled the front suspension apart. They finally gave up and told me to just drive it until something fails. So, I went home, got a flashlight, and started crawling around. It took me five minutes to find a dangling device. It was a small device into which the speedo cable screwed, that kept track of when the emissions system needed service, every 30k miles. It was supposed to be clipped onto the body sheet metal, but had come loose, and whenever I hit a certain type of bump, it would bang against the firewall.

I bet your rattle over bumps is something similar.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got to tell you, I had a rattle that would occur on bumps but also buzz on rough (stud chewed) pavement. I thought it was coming from the pillar as well but someone on this forum mentioned the fuse box cover. So, I started pressing on it and it seemed to help. So, I put electricians tape on the inner lip across the top and down the top half of the sides to both create a little pressure and to provide non-hard plastic surface to surface contact. Took care of it completely. I still don't know how my ears could have been so far off.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Gen 1 had a rattle that seemed to come from the front camera housing. Had the dealer remove and reinstall the housing. Problem solved.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a rattle similar to the one you are hearing on my 2017. It was coming from an area somewhere between the A pillar and the instrument cluster. I removed the dash pad and tried to see where the problem was. There is an A/C duct in the area and a couple of harnesses that could be rattling. I shoved foam padding around anything I thought could be causing the problem. With the dash pad removed, the rattle went away. So the pad itself could be pushing against something around the cluster or the A pillar or something could be touching it. I could also make the rattle go away by pressing hard in the top left side of the dash pad above the cluster. In any event, after adding some thin padding in the suspect areas, the rattle went away and hasn't returned.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi,

Great thread! I have the same problem on a 2018. How is the dash pad attached and how did you remove it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thank you for the post. This is very helpful info as I think I have the same issue. Seems like it might be more prominent with temperature changes (worse when colder out).

One question, how did you remove the dash pad? Is it held on with clips or something?

Thanks again

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same issue, but when I lightly pressed on the dash above the "Power" button, the rattle went away.

It was driving me crazy driving for hours 9n the highway. Found it!

Now, I have to get the dealer to believe me so they'll fix it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've noticed an intermittently annoying rattle in my '18 Volt. Seems to be coming from the foward collision alert light region and sounds as though a bulb is loose. However, I cannot say for sure that is the cause.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts