GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an annoying rattle that the tech is having a hard time finding. It appears to be coming from either the glove box hinges or behind/around the glove box. When I open the door and press down on it quite forcefully, the rattle is muted.

Anybody else have this rattle?

·
Registered
716 Posts
My advice is that you not get it fixed. If you do, it will unmask all the other interior buzzes and rattles.

As ingenious and superb as the Volt drive-train is, they went totally "chevy" on the interior. Everything seems to be assembled using relatively loose spring clips, so on bumps and rough roads especially, my interior sounds like I'm riding in a wicker basket. I dislike rattles and buzzes so much, that I suspect this is my last Chevy. I just hope something like the Volt drive-train finds its way upmarket by the time I'm ready for a new ride. But not as upmarket as the ELR -- that was a bit too far upmarket. Maybe other automakers will get into the act. But I believe it would take them awhile to catch up with GM's drive-train engineering.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You might take a look at the hinge. On the first generation Volt, there was a keeper/stop on the hinge that wasn't really necessary. Mine rattled like mad. Opening and closing the glovebox usually stopped it for a while, but it would start up soon after. Mine also seemed to be temperature sensitive. I ended up disconnecting it, which seemed to solve the issue for me. I'm not sure if they used the same design on the second generation car.

Good luck! Annoying rattles are so much more noticeable in such a quiet car.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Where is this keeper located in the gen 1?

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had a sound coming from the glove compartment's air-damper-thingy. It's like a hydraulic, but with air. It's meant to dampen the drawer's opening so it doesn't slam open. Per the Volt owner's manual, you can remove the glove compartment to change/install an air filter. The air-cylinder-damper-thingy rattles against itself so I just I just wrapped the cylinder with enough nitril gloves so that the cylinder doesn't rattle but the glove compartment still opens and isn't wedge still.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gen 2 Volt?
Where is this damper located exactly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's a thread where this is discussed. Open the passenger front door and pull of the end piece on the right side of the dash next to the glovebox. It pulls right off. behind that is that little piston damper assembly. Loose and flops around. Very silly design. Just wedge something between the little plastic piston thing and the glove box and that should keep if from rattling.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...and-New-2016-Chevy-Volt&p=3417066#post3417066

I actually unscrewed the screws holding the glove box in place and pulled that out to inspect. Not a big deal actually.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a thread where this is discussed. Open the passenger front door and pull of the end piece on the right side of the dash next to the glovebox. It pulls right off. behind that is that little piston damper assembly. Loose and flops around. Very silly design. Just wedge something between the little plastic piston thing and the glove box and that should keep if from rattling.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...and-New-2016-Chevy-Volt&p=3417066#post3417066

I actually unscrewed the screws holding the glove box in place and pulled that out to inspect. Not a big deal actually.
Thanks! I'll check this out!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Holy crap! That was it! Thanks for returning sanity to my driving experience! I was prepared for another 2hr wait at the dealer for them to come up empty! Thanks again for the link, Paul! Wish I had asked 3 months ago when this started!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Not to be one of those guys, but I did mention it first, before paul2pilot... ;-)

Now if anyone would be so kind to donate pics/vid on how to fix this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agXBPcPtnlk

The vibration throughout the video I think is coming from the OnStar button area. Using pics from this site:

http://www.cubbycam.com/projects/2016/01/15/homelink-install-on-2016-gen-2-chevy-volt/

I think either a trim clip is loose or the black module is loose. Just need to get some trim tools, time, guts, and motiviation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts