GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the last 2 months or so, whenever I hit a series of bumps or a rough road surface, I’m getting a rattle that sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side rear. It almost sounds like it’s coming from inside, like a seat belt buckle or plastic interior panel that is rattling. I’ve checked all the obvious and not so obvious places. I removed the access cover where the charging cord stores and left that off, rapped on the interior plastic panels looking for one that might be lose, checked the back seat seat belts, made sure the seats were locked into the upright position and so on.

I did bring it to the dealer for a warranty check for this problem. They made a decent effort to find and fix it. They checked and tightened the muffler alignment and clamp, the battery cover and so on. They did say that I was missing a spacer on the screw down bracket for the compressor kit as well which they replaced. I was pretty optimistic that they had solved it until I drove it for a bit and realized the sound was still there.

My next tactic is to have my wife drive the car while I sit in the back seat and try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered and solved this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have a look at the little rubber stops on the hatch. They can be adjusted in or out. That did the trick for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
they adjust by turning cw or ccw

I need a small adjustment when we get to 35 F

·
Registered
16,17 volt
820 Posts
2016 volt , pulled cover off of back latch loop, backed off bolts holding it, tapped it down 1/16 of an inch, tighten it back up. if you go to far it wont latch.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yep, my hatch rubber stops needed adjusting in order to eliminate the squeaking. I wouldn't consider that a rattle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, my hatch rubber stops needed adjusting in order to eliminate the squeaking. I wouldn't consider that a rattle.
Sounds like a loose interior plastic panel whenever I hit a series of bumps. Pretty sure this could be the source.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Obviously, your idea of sitting in the back seat will help isolate the sound location, but check all the plastic panels in the back including the hatch area. The back has a couple knoblike nuts that screw on, maybe they're loose. Even the seat themselves might not be fully latched, could be rattling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also adding some stick-on felt pads around the edges of the charging cord compartment to eliminate any potential rattling from that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm having the same problem with both of our new 2019's right now. Took it into the dealer and they said that the right rear tail lights on the new 19's are missing spacers in the tail light housing and that can cause the rattling.

Unfortunately, that didn't help, then they noticed that the right rear hatch strut seemed loose so they took it out to replace. Taking out the strut seemed to have fixed the rattle. However, once putting the new one back in, the rattle has started back up. Perhaps without the strut in there, the full weight of the hatch was more "planted" and didn't rattle as much.

When looking at the struts and wiggling them around a bit, it feels/sounds like there is some rattle/knocking at the point where the strut connects to the hatch. I also have noticed that my LEFT strut has a rubber boot around the mount point where the right does not.

Does anyone else notice a small, rubber boot around the strut joint on your hatch? I only see them on the LEFT side of both of our 2019's which is odd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
they adjust by turning cw or ccw

I need a small adjustment when we get to 35 F
That seems to have done the trick. Thanks to all!
I have to reply, only to say thank you SOOOO much! I had this same issue since I bought the car in November of 2018. I thought it was a loose wire by the sub woofer or something hitting a panel. I lowered the rubber stopper on the passenger side like a quarter turn...and...tada!!! Fixed!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts