GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been battling a rattle for quite a few months now. I thought it was something outside underneath the car, so I've been zip tying things just to see if that would resolve it or not. So far it had not. I was then cleaning my car for the local drive electric to work week car show and put some cleaning supplies in the little cubby for the EVSE in the trunk. They were large enough that they pushed against the door when it was closed and it turns out, that little door is the rattle! For now I left the towels in there but I'm planning on talking to my dealership about it. The panel does not fit very tight other then where the latch is and the two tabs on the bottom. Wondering if a new one would be a better fit.

Anyway, just wanted to share this in case it helps others!

·
Registered
926 Posts
That's a perfect candidate for rattle investigation! Thanks for coming back and sharing your find! My panel so far is okay with no rattle, but the rear vertical edge of it (closest to rear of Volt) doesn't sit flush with the paneling--it sticks out about 1 mm. I hope it doesn't get worse and starts rattling. *bookmarks thread*

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep - mine doesn't fit tight either - very loose. At first I thought I hadn't closed the latch all the way, but that's just the way it is I guess

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There is supposed to be a little bit of cloth-covered tape across the inside of the latch to hold it tight against the panel. If yours is missing the piece of tape, then it certainly will rattle. A good workaround might be to wrap the latch with some cloth electrical tape.

·
Registered
652 Posts
LOL! I had the same thing happen on my Gen 1 2012 fixed last week. LH lid fits great, but right hand one not so reshaped it a tad and as above foam/cloth tape is great.
Good to see GM has the same people on the job from Gen 1 to Gen 2 ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts